Chapter 16

Molly's POV

"What took you so long to get here?" Felix demands, smacking my arm as I duck down beside him, "Shockwave has been here for like twenty minutes, wreaking havoc."

I resist the urge to roll my eyes, "I was busy. My life doesn't revolve around being Psyche, you know. Why aren't you wearing your mask?"

Felix gives me a look, "Alright little miss I need to figure out this whole Shockwave thing as soon as possible so I don't have to worry about my family finding out about me. And it itches. I don't need it anyways. I'm hidden back here."

"Shut up, and put your damn mask on, Felix."

"You know I'm right."

"Psyche," Shockwave calls in a sing-song tone, making my blood chill. God that's creepy as fuck. "I can hear you, Psyche. Come out, come out wherever you are." I bite my lip and decide to just wing it. I stand up and move closer. She spots me almost immediately, and the evil grin returns to her face. "I've missed you, Psyche."

"If you just surrender and go to jail, I promise I'll come visit you everyday. Then you won't have to miss me." She laughs at my lame joke. "What are those little metal things, Shockwave?"

She shakes her head no, the same smile plastered on her lips as we circle each other, "Now that's really none of your concern, Psyche." The ground starts to tremble all around me. Buildings nearby start shaking, dust raining down from the sky. Fucking hell. I raise my arms up, blue energy moving and surrounding them.

"Very impressive," Shockwave nods, still circling me, "Let's see how much more you can take." She snaps and goons emerge from the shadows. Two of them are holding onto Felix's arms as he struggles. Thankfully he has his mask on now. I do a quick headcount. Six of them plus Shockwave verses the two of us, but we're both incapacitated at the moment. The good news is, there seems to be no sign of Aftershock around.

"Let him go!" I yell, my breathing getting a little heavier as she wills the ground to shake faster. I strain against the buildings. I'm vaguely aware of people hurriedly evacuating some of them.

"No," she replies, "I don't think I will. Slit his throat." One of the goons holding him pulls out a pocket knife, quickly moving it towards my best friend's throat.

"No!" I scream, focusing on him. The knife leaves his hand, floating towards me. I jerk my head to the side, and it flies into an overturned cop car.

Shockwave grins maliciously, her eyes brighter, "Get her." Next thing I know, the back of my calf is being cut and another metal thing is being shoved into my wound. Shockwave hits a button on her remote, turning whatever the hell it is on. I scream in agony, tears rushing down my face. I wanna curl up in a ball and cry, but I can't. I have to hold these buildings up.

"Stop it!" Felix shrieks, struggling against the goons, "Stop it now! Damn you, Shockwave! Turn it off!" She simply ignores him. My eyes get heavy and my limbs start to shake. I cough, tasting blood. My head pounds, making my vision get a little dark. Then it stops. The pain and the earthquake. I collapse to the ground in agony, my limbs curling up to my chest. Shockwave strolls over and yanks the metal thing out of my leg. I cry harder. This is it, I think, she's gonna kill me right here.

"Let's go boys," she simply says, gesturing to the goons. They all move over beside her. I glance up and see they dropped Felix. I look back over to Shockwave, but she's gone. Fuck. I cough again and slowly get up, limping over to the sidewalk. I just want to be with Calum and Duke right now.

"Psyche!" Felix yells, rushing over. I don't stop or even slow down. "What's wrong? Where are you going?"

"I just got the shit kicked out of me, so I'm going home to lay down. Please just go home and talk to your mum. She probably saw what just happened and is worried about you."

"Molly-"

"Please Felix." I cut in, tears running down my cheeks.

He bites his lip and nods, "Text me when you get home. And feel better."

I nod, hugging him, "I will." He waves goodbye, then takes off in the other direction.