Chapter 27

Luke's POV

"Molly's only two rows away now," Ashton whispers to me. I nod, my smile growing. Mum and dad already have their phones out, snapping pictures of her.

"Is something flying towards us?" Michael asks, urgency in his voice. He points up over the stage. My stomach drops as it connects with the top covering of the stage and explodes. A shock goes through the ground and smoke clouds the air. Chairs and kids topple over onto the ground. The bleachers we're on shake violently. Sierra crashes into me. I fall on my side. I sit back up right as a figure emerges through the smoke on the stage. No one moves a muscle. The smoke clears some, revealing the figure. Shockwave?

She's dressed in a dark green leather jumpsuit. A dark green mask covers her eyes and half of her entire face. Her eyes scan the crowd as a smirk grows on her lips.

"Which one of you is Psyche?" She calls out, her voice echoing. Murmurs. Molly faces forward, her body rigid. My stomach turns nervously as we all watch.

"Fine," she sighs, cracking her neck, "Molly Hemmings and Felix Owens, if you two aren't up in front of me in ten seconds, I'm gonna blow up everyone here." Felix scrambles to his feet as she counts. So does Molly.

"Why does she know Molly? Luke, what the hell is going on?" Dad demands, mum clinging to his arm. I ignore his question.

"Who the hell are you?" Felix shouts up.

"Shockwave," the person answers quietly. In an instant, she's firing a gun at Felix's chest. I see Chief Owens leap to her feet.

"No!" Molly screams, blue energy flying down her arms. It surrounds him. The bullet drops to the ground. Parents and students all gasp. Most of them have their phones out and trained on Molly. God my poor sister. Sierra squeezes my hand tightly.

Shockwave grins wildly, "Welcome to the public eye, Psyche." Molly pushes Felix back with the other students on the ground and flies up onto the stage, standing directly across from Shockwave.

"Molly's Psyche?" Mum demands, gripping my shoulder. I shrug her off.

"Why are you here?" Molly yells, "Are you working for Tremor?" It's almost dead silent as we watch.

"You don't recognize me?" She shakes her head no. "I always did look more like my mom, I guess. And I suppose you never saw daddy without his mask on."

"Tremor's daughter?" Calum gasps out, his eyes wide, "Since when?"

"Tremor had a daughter?" She nods, looking bored. "Now you're working for him? Carrying out his mission or plan?"

Shockwave laughs, "My father was a fool. He wanted greatness but didn't realize just how close he already was to it. He only gave me one good thing in his lifetime, and that was powers. But no, I'm not carrying on his legacy. I'm scoring a personal vendetta with you, Psyche." My frown deepens.

"What the hell did I ever do to you?" Molly asks.

"You stole my father from me!" We all watch.

"What?"

"Daddy focused on you and talked about how great and phenomenal you were. I was his daughter, and he didn't care about me. All he wanted was your powers. He didn't know how close he actually was." She lunges at Molly, cutting a deep gash in her arm. Molly screams in pain and blasts her away. Shockwave crashes backwards into a wall. Molly pants and stumbles around. Shockwave pulls out a remote and presses a button. Molly drops to the ground.

"Police!" Chief Owens screams, slowly approaching the stage, her gun on her arm, "Drop it." Mum grips dad's arm.

"Don't even think about coming closer, Owens," Shockwave barks out, "Or I'll blow this entire football field sky high. Don't play with me." Molly retches and gasps for air. Then Shockwave is grabbing her wounded arm. She yanks something out of her arm, making Molly scream in agony. Her legs curl up to her chest as she cries. Calum's hands curl into fists, his jaw tense. I've never seen him look so pissed before.

Shockwave smirks, "This has been a true pleasure, Psyche. My one regret is that I now have to kill you. I'm going to miss having you run in circles." She shrugs and pulls her knife out. "Goodbye Molly." It goes into Molly's stomach. My ears start ringing. She coughs, her lips bright red. My stomach drops to the ground. Calum grips my arm. One of the girls screams. Mum cries. Felix suddenly runs at Shockwave, sending her flying backwards. She groans, getting up slowly. Blood rushes from a wound on her head. She grunts, "We'll finish this a different time." Then she's gone in the smoke. Felix is at Molly's side, pulling her body up. Chief Owens is beside them.

"We need to go get her," mum tells dad, pulling him towards the stage. They disappear in the crowd of people rushing forward. Chief Owens mumbles something to Molly and pulls the knife from her stomach. People push closer and closer to the stage.

"Everyone stay back," a cop yells, moving in front of the stage. Officer Wells, it looks like. 

Felix helps Molly to her feet. He and his mum practically carry her battered body off the stage and away from the large crowds, screaming and trying to get closer.