Chapter 30

Molly's POV

"Hey Molly," Luke calls from my doorway. I don't move or answer. He sighs softly, "Mum and dad are here. They wanna talk now. They said they're either coming up here, or you're going downstairs." I scream loudly into my pillow, violently kicking the bed. "I know," Luke agrees. I slowly get out of bed, my comforter still wrapped around me. The two of us head downstairs in silence.

As soon as we get downstairs, all eyes are on me. Mum, dad, Jack, and Ben watch me curiously as I move over and sit on the empty couch. Luke stands to the side of the couch, ready to stick up for me if necessary. God I would rather die than do this right now. I take a deep breath as dad opens his mouth to start talking.

"How did you even get these powers, Molly?" Dad asks me, rubbing his temples, "I mean, they aren't from us." He gestures to himself and mum.

"A bunch of chemicals spilled on me in a science classroom closet," I answer, my throat scratchy, "I was trying to get a textbook down and accidentally knocked them over onto me."

Mum's eyes fly open, "She had chemicals spilled on her at school, and you didn't think to call us, Luke? I knew you weren't ready for the responsibility of taking care of her!" Luke looks at the ground. That was the final thing to really set me over the edge. I snap.

"Actually," I cut in, "it happened in Australia. I've had these powers since before Drew died. Living with Luke has been one of the only fucking good things that's happened to me. Don't you dare say he couldn't take of me. Especially since you sent me away with him because the world doesn't have a right place for Molly!"

"Molly that's not what we meant, and you know it," mum snaps, her eyes wide. I guess she didn't know that I knew about that all these years. Oops.

"Bullshit," I reply, "You don't care about me. You never have. It's always been about Drew."

"You're really going to bring your dead sister into this right now, Molly? Drew has nothing to do with this conversation. Stop trying to-"

"To what?" I challenge, my voice cold. Everyone is dead silent. I break down crying again, "I'm having the worst goddamn day of my entire fucking life, and you're telling me that I shouldn't be trying to slander Drew. You don't even fucking know half of the shit that she did."

"Molly, calm down," Luke tells me, trying to pull me into another hug. I resist, not wanting to be touched.

"Molly, we understand that this is hard for you," dad starts, clearly trying to pick his words carefully, "But I think you're blowing this a little out of proportion. This isn't the worst thing that's happened to us. Maybe this is a good thing. Now you won't constantly be in danger."

I roll my eyes and furiously wipe away tears, "No, I'll just sit here while bad guys, who now know my fucking name, come up and try to break in to taunt me and hurt my friends and family." I stand up, wrapping the comforter around me again. "I'm fucking done. None of you understand."

"What don't we understand?" Mum asks me, her eyes closed.

I bite my lip and stop at the bottom of the staircase, "They weren't just powers. Psyche isn't just some fun shit I do to pass the time. Those powers and Psyche are who I am. I can physically feel that they're gone, that a piece of me is missing. And you two don't even care. All you've done since you got here is try to force a relationship that we don't have and act like you've done nothing to contribute to me being a fuck up. You wanted nothing to do with me a few years ago when I was in a dark place, and you can't suddenly want to be my parents after I'm better. Stop acting like you know what's best for me, cause you fucking don't." I go upstairs, not looking and at them once. I slam my bedroom door and lock it before collapsing on my bed. I know I'm gonna have to deal with Luke, Ben, and Jack bugging me all night, but whatever. Right now, I just want to cry myself to sleep and pretend like none of this has happened.