Chapter 28

Molly's POV

"What just happened, Molly?" Chief Owens demands as we drive away from the school. I have a towel pressed to the large cut on my stomach. The bleeding has almost stopped.

"We learned that I don't fight as good when I'm in a dress," I answer, leaning my head against the window, "And that this Shockwave asshole has a personal grudge against me."

"Her powers have been acting up lately, mom," Felix cuts in from the backseat, "Ever since she first started fighting Shockwave. First her superspeed, then invisibility, next telekinesis, then her super hearing. They're acting all fuc- funked up."

"Why haven't you told me, Molly?" Chief Owens demands, her knuckles white as she grips the steering wheel. "I wouldn't have been sending you out if I knew-"

"That's exactly why," I interrupt, "I'm so sick and tired of everyone acting weird because of this. I needed someone to not be flipping out on me. I need to be out there fighting. Once Shockwave is gone then I can rest and figure out this power thing. Why the fuck isn't this healing yet?"

"The blue energy," Felix adds from the backseat.

"Hospital it is," Chief Owens mumbles to herself, turning right. I pout but don't argue. I close my eyes, trying to make the world stop spinning.

"Hey Luke," she says, "Yeah, I have her and Felix. We're on our way to the hospital to get her stitched up because her powers are acting up. I'll bring her back home afterwards. Bye."

"So does this mean that we didn't graduate?" Felix pipes up.

"Of course not," his mum answers, "They'll just mail your diplomas."

"I fucked up everyone's day," I mumble, my eyes still closed.

"No you didn't," Chief Owens protests.

"Molly, I think your day was ruined more than anyone else's," Felix tells me, "I mean, this is gonna fuck up your entire life."

"I don't even wanna go home," I agree, "My parents are gonna flip their shit. I didn't want them to ever know about this." I glance out the window, watching as the buildings fly by.

"It'll all work out," she assures me, nodding.

~

"I really want to thank you for this-" I walk away, leaving Chief Owens and the medic over by the ambulance. I go back over to the cop car, feeling weird. We skipped the hospital and just had one of Chief Owens' medic friends meet us in an empty parking lot. Not the cleanest, but it keeps me away from crowds.

"What's wrong, Molly? Are-"

"My powers aren't working," I blurt out, a pit forming in my stomach as I keep trying to get my blue energy to appear, "Felix they're gone. They aren't here. I can feel it." Tears rush down my face.

His jaw drops, "Uh, um, I, uh- we'll figure it out, Molly. I know we will. They can't be gone. I mean, that doesn't make any sense. They were chemically bonded to your DNA, written in your genetic code."

I gasp for breath, looking around wildly, "They're gone. I need to go." I take off running, not caring about the burning in my lungs or the possibility of my stitches ripping. I duck down an alley and make my way home, feeling empty.