Chapter 10

Molly's POV

"Psyche!" The secretary exclaims as soon as I walk through the door, "How can I help you?"

"I need to talk to Chief Owens," I tell him, leaning against the counter.

He nods, "I'll let her know you're here. She's just finishing up a meeting with one of the new recruits."

"You guys got new officers?" I ask, watching as he types away on his computer, "I haven't seen any of them out lately."

"Four new ones I believe. Officers Ryans, Kim, Lee, and Smith. Plus the Chief's son is kind of working here this summer to get some training before heading into the police academy this fall, but he's just running errands and organizing case files and such as well as doing some tech work. The kid's a genius when it comes to computers."

"Then I need him as well." He nods and types some more.

"Owens says to head on back. There's a couple chairs outside her office. She says she'll be with you in a few minutes. And Psyche-" I raise an eyebrow. "Thank you for all that you do for us." I nod and smile at him before heading back towards the Chief's office. My phone buzzes in my pocket, but I ignore it, not wanting to try to come up with some bullshit story for my parents right now. I groan softly as I take a seat, my body still aching from the past few fights I've been in with Shockwave.

"Why do we always get stuck on the shitty jobs?" A younger cop asks Officer Wells as they walk by. Officer Ryans according to his name tag.

Wells snorts, "Because unless you know the chief or take down a supervillain, you get stuck with the shitty jobs. And unless your Psyche, you don't have either one of those." Officer Wells sees me and winks kindly. I shoot him a small smile. Officer Ryans frowns at me, then masks it with an awkward smile. They pass, disappearing around a corner. Chief Owens' office door opens a moment later, and I'm ushered inside. She closes and locks it again as I take a seat.

"Shockwave isn't working alone," I declare, "She's got goons, but I don't think they're her own personal people. I think she's got a partner who is lending some manpower."

"Well how would we figure out who it is?" Felix asks me.

"I bet I know," Chief Owens cuts in, waving us over behind her desk. Felix and I crowd around her, watch her computer screen as she pulls up some files. "Clint Perone, a convicted murderer escaped about a week or two before Shockwave sent that first note. While in jail, one of the most memorable things about him was his obsession with Tremor and superpowers. He didn't have any though."

"So he's working with Shockwave, who has powers, to get revenge on me for killing Tremor for good?" I ask, unsure about this.

"This sounds kind of very far fetched, mom," Felix notes, speaking my mind, "I mean, that's a week or two week gap. It is possible, but an obsession with Tremor isn't hard evidence or anything."

"Clint always used the same ten to fifteen people as goons," Chief Owens continues, ignoring our negativity, "None of them were ever convicted. Look and see if any of them look familiar." She scrolls through mug shots. Almost immediately, I recognize two faces.

"They were there today," I admit, my stomach flipping. Maybe she isn't crazy.

"But that doesn't mean that they're definitely still working for Clint, right?" Felix questions.

"They are basically a gang. They don't switch sides or go to work for other people, especially not if it means crossing Clint. There's no hard evidence," she concedes, "But we need to really consider him." I nod and pull my phone out to check my text messages. Over fifty texts from my brothers and parents. Fuck.

"I have to go," I rush out, moving over to the door, "My family is gonna kill me."

"Good luck," Chief Owens calls, still watching the computer screen.

"Text me later," Felix shouts. I flash him a thumbs up and take off running out of the office and the police station.