Chapter 37

Molly's POV

Are you up?

I need to talk to you

In person

ASAP MOLLY

Where?

My apartment. Hurry!!!!!

I groan and rub my eyes, too tired to deal with whatever Psyche related thing he almost definitely wants to talk about. But I still roll out of bed and get dressed. I send Luke a text, then leave the house, locking the door behind me.

~

I walk up to the Owens' apartment door and knock twice before leaning against the wall to wait. A minute passes and nothing. My smile fades into a frown. I knock I again, but nothing. I pull my phone and call Felix only to have it for straight to voicemail. A bad feeling creeps up on me. I call Luke. Voicemail. Fuck. I take off sprinting down the hallway towards the staircase, rushing to get back home.

~

"Luke!" I yell as soon as the door is open, "Michael! Calum, Ash! Sierra, Jack, mum! Anyone?" Petunia whines in the kitchen. I close the door and rush in to find my poor baby locked in a kennel, something Luke and I don't even own. I immediately let her out. Petunia wastes no time in licking all over my face. I glance around the room as she does, trying to find a clue or anything. I get up and move into the living room.

The television screen is black with the colorful DVD logo bouncing around the screen. I sit on the couch and hit play on the remote. Shockwave and Aftershock appear on the screen. My stomach knots itself.

"Psyche, or just Molly now, right?" Aftershock taunts, laughing, "We wanted to make this video to welcome you to the new age for people. Now that you're out of the way, we can finish what Tremor started!" The camera pans, and I see hundreds of pallets of those God awful coats from two years ago.

"Since none of this would be possible without you, we decided to have some special guests become the first members of our new age," he continues. The camera is flipped, and I see all of my friends and family. They're spilt into groups of three with their arms and legs chained to their chairs. Each one has a gag in the mouth. Aftershock laughs loudly in the background before the video cuts off. I scream in frustration as I jump up. Chief Owens needs to know about this. I head back out, moving faster than I have before.

~

"Owens!" I yell as soon as I get into the police station, "I need to talk to you!" I push past officers, trying to get back to her office. She comes out, a frown on her face.

"Molly? What's wrong?" Chief Owens asks me, placing one hand on my shoulder.

"Shockwave and Aftershock are planning something right now. They're finishing Tremor's plan. They have Felix and my brothers, and my friends, and my parents, and-"

"Molly, are you sure-"

"Yes I'm sure!" I yell on the verge of hysteria. She bites her lip.

"Chief, we've got reports of an earthquake around that abandoned Toys R Us from before. The kid's got something." I recognize Officer Wells. Officer Ryans is behind him looking at me smugly.

Chief Owens nods and presses a button on her radio, "All available medical and police head downtown to the old Toys R Us. Hostage situation with Shockwave and Aftershock. No one engages. I repeat, no one engages." Cops all around me start scrambling.

"I can help," I pipe up, desperate to help. Who knows what they've done to my family?

"No," Chief Owens says simply, "You don't have powers anymore." She disappears into her office to get her gear.

"But-"

"You heard the chief," Ryans snaps, "This isn't for civilians. You're useless now, Psyche. Go home, and leave this to the people who can actually help. We don't need you messing anything up anymore than you already have." He walks past me, slamming his shoulder against mine. Rage bubbles in me, but I turn on my heel and head home.