Chapter 9

Molly's POV

"You look like you're burning up," Luke informs me, his voice hushed as the two of us fall behind the rest of the group.

"I am," I reply, "But I need to be prepared for a Shockwave attack. If I just wear the top underneath this shirt, it makes my life slightly easier if I have to do a quick change." Luke nods. "Why are we doing this cheesey ass tour again?"

"Mum and dad thought it would be fun," he answers, "So we're doing it and behaving."

"We literally could've showed them around for a fraction of the price. I'm just saying, it seems like a-" I cut myself off as the ground starts to shake violently. People go tearing past us, screaming. Dust rains down from the ceiling.

"Shockwave?"

"Luke! Molly!" Jack yells loudly from the to her side of the room. The four of them watch us, panic in their eyes.

"Probably," I sigh, "Cover for me."

"Molly!" Luke exclaims, "What am I supposed to- how?"

"Think of something," I suggest as I limp over to the side. I spot a bathroom on the other side of the building. Jackpot. I make my way over there as fast as I can. I get inside and lock the door. I get changed as fast as I can.

As I'm getting changed, the shaking stops. I swallow hard, not liking this at all. I pull my mask on, tying it tight. I open the window and crawl through it, out onto the streets of LA. Buildings all around me show sighs of just being hit by the earthquake. I wander down the streets, looking for Shockwave.

It only takes five minutes to find her. She's standing in the middle of the street, staring right at me. We make eye contact, and she smirks and nods. Next thing I know, people are grabbing my arms and forcing them behind my back. Something cuts into my upper arm. One of the people holding me shoves another metal device into the cut. Pain starts radiating through my body. I scream in agony, falling to the ground. I'm vaguely aware of Shockwave moving closer and closer to me. I can't get up though. She kicks me in the face. I still can't move.

"How does it feel, Psyche?" Shockwave asks me, her head tilted slightly.

"What is it?" I gasp out, my arms seemingly paralyzed. She laughs and turns her back to me, staring at the people around us. I focus on my leg and swing. It works. My legs connects with Shockwave's, and she tumbles to the ground. Something drops out of her hand and clatters to the ground. The pain in my arm subsides. I reach over and yank the device out, trying to not scream out in pain.

"No!" She shrieks as I throw it to the ground and crush it under my shoe. I activate my blue energy and turn to go after the goons. They're both gone. I swear and turn back, but Shockwave is gone as well. Fuck. I take a deep breath and start moving down the sidewalk towards the police station as fast as I can.