Chapter 40

Luke's POV

A gun fires from one of the cops.

"No!" Molly shrieks, jumping up. She tackles Shockwave. Both girls fall to the ground. Molly doesn't get back up. Or move. Or breathe. Blood rushes from the wound on the left side of her chest. My stomach drops. No no no no no. Mum cries out against her gag. Dad gasps. Tears rush down Calum's face. He shakes his head no repeatedly. The others are all silent. Felix rips his gag out of his mouth. I guess he managed to slip out of his chains. I pull on mine more, one of my hands sort of coming free.

"Molly!" Felix screams, running over to his best friend. He drops on the ground beside her, pressing two fingers against her neck. I struggle against my chains. Shockwave scoots backward, horror in her eyes. She hits a button on the panel, and the chains all drop to the floor. I run over and drop down beside Felix. Cal, Ash, and Mikey are right beside me.

"What the hell, Ryans?" Chief Owens demands.

"Mom!" Felix wails, "She's gone. She's dead." I pull him into a hug, finding it hard to breathe. He sobs against my body. I hear mum, dad, Jack, Ben, Sierra, KayKay, and Crystal all crying as well. Calum's on his knees sobbing.

"Maybe she has another life in her," Ashton speaks up, his voice wobbly.

"Her powers are gone," Michael chokes out, "It's over." I get a little light-headed.

"We need EMTs," Chief Owens says into her radio. Felix breaks out of my grip and runs to his mum. I fall backwards, numb.

"Come on boys," a gentle voice urges, getting us to our feet. He ushers us back with the others. I turn and watch as Officer Wells bends down and closes my little sister's eyes for good. That's when I start sobbing. Ben and Jack pull me into a hug. I'm vaguely aware of a few cops handcuffing Shockwave and leading her out of the room. EMTs come in and go over to Molly's lifeless body. I look away.

"She was a really good kid, Luke," Chief Owens cuts in, placing her hand on my shoulder. I turn around and look at her. She also has tears in her eyes as she holds onto Felix. "She didn't deserve this. Trust me, she'll have justice for her death. Ryans is already in custody. I just wish she didn't-"

"I-"

"Fuck!" One of the medics screams, jumping back. We all whip our heads over to the noise. "Her eyes just flew open."

"Molly!" Calum yells, running over.

"But how-" mum cuts herself off and watches. Molly groans and sits up, an arm wrapped around her stomach.

She glances around for a second at all of us crying, then smiles lazily, "You didn't actually think I was gone, did you?" Calum drops down to his knees and grabs her face before kissing her. I blink in shock.

What the fuck?

"Holy shit," Michael laughs, nodding towards Molly and Calum, who are still making out. I don't know if he's talking about Molly being alive or the fact that Molly and Calum are still making out. They pull apart, their forehead resting against each other. Molly holds Calum's face in her hands, gently wiping his tears away with her thumbs. Sierra walks over and takes my hand, smiling up at me.

"How are you alive?" Jack calls, "We just watched you die! You died, Molly, I don't understand."

She laughs as she stands up, holding Calum's hand, "It's kind of a long story. And hard to explain." Felix runs over and hugs her tightly. The ground shakes violently beneath us, breaking up their reunion. Molly raises her arms up, her blue energy holding the ceiling up and shielding the rest of us. Then it stops. Her face is hard.

"Chief Owens!" Molly calls, grabbing her mask and retying it, "Get them all out of this building. Clear the perimeter, and try to evacuate as many nearby buildings as you can. This shit isn't over yet." Chief Owens nods. Molly turns and walks towards a hole in the wall, her arms still glowing blue.

"I'm going with her, mom," Felix tells his mum as he runs up. He and Molly fist bump, then he grabs ahold of her. She grins back at us, then the two of them walk out of the hole and fly upwards.

"Let's go guys," Chief Owens calls, snapping us back to reality.