Chapter 13

Molly's POV

This doesn't feel right, I think to myself as I watch the building, the same goddamn abandoned firehouse Tremor used. A teenage girl is tied to a chair in the middle of the room. She sits perfectly still, not struggling or anything. Her posture almost makes her seem bored. I bite my lip and move, trying to get to a new angle to see her face. She sees me move and perks up.

"Help! Please help!" The girl screams, struggling in her chair for the first time. "Please Psyche!" I inwardly sigh and cautiously make my way over to the chair. I squat down and start untying the ropes. As soon as I touch them, they drop to the ground.

"They weren't even tied," I mumble to myself. Before I can react, she's leaping up out of the chair and turning to face me. As soon as I see the dark green mask covering her face, I realize I'm a fucking moron and just fell for her trap. My blue energy activates. Shockwave just cackles.

"Aftershock!" She shouts. I glance around nervously. A new person walks out. He's in a red trench coat and has a red mask covering his cold eyes. He grins maliciously. The ground starts to weakly shake under my feet, not really messing with my balance even. The man slumps over, gripping the chair for balance. The shaking cuts off. My frown deepens. Shockwave puts a hand on his arm, which he violently pushes off. She backs off.

"Clint," I say, watching the two of them.

"Aftershock," he snarls out, "My name is Aftershock."

I roll my eyes, "I don't fucking care. What the hell is going on here? Why are you teamed up with him?" I turn my attention to Shockwave.

She glares at me, "You'll find out soon enough, Psyche. But for right now." Her eyes close. I push myself off of the ground as she lunges. The two of us raise off of the ground, her clinging to my torso. I struggle, trying to push her off. She clings tighter with one arm as she pulls something out of her boot. I catches the light and reflects in my eye. A knife. She screams and tries to plunge it into my arm. I kick as she pulls her arm back, making her fall before the knife touches me. I catch her and put her down, making sure she doesn't crack her skull open, even if it would make my life a million times easier.

"Get her, you useless girl," Aftershock yells, making Shockwave waiver and flinch. In that time, I bust out a window and jump. I float the last couple feet to the ground. I hear them screaming at each other. I take off running, trying to become invisible as I do so.

Nothing. Fuck.

I concentrate harder, desperate to just disappear and blend in with the buildings. I know they're gonna have goons after me soon. Still no invisibility. I swear and duck down an alley. I need to take a long way home if I'm gonna dodge these assholes.