Chapter 38

Molly's POV

I come home to a hauntingly quiet house. My heart aches. Petunia rushes over to greet me, but I can't really seem to bring myself to hold her at the moment. I settle for a few pats on her head as I move up to my bedroom. She follows, her nails clicking on the hardwood floors. I make it to my room and sit down in front of my mirror. Petunia climbs up onto my bed, panting happily as she watches me.

"It doesn't make sense, Petunia," I talk aloud, staring at my reflection, "But they played a smart game by getting me to go to Felix's. They've thought this through." The metaphorical lightbulb goes off over my head, making my jaw drop.

"A diversion," I breathe out, "They're relying on diversions! Their entire plan! I mean, while taking my powers, they'd distract me with a fight before simply cutting me and taking what they want. They did the same thing when getting me to go to Felix's while they kidnapped everyone. That's what they're doing with the Toys R Us! They made an earthquake at that building while at another to create a diversion!" I leap up and grab my Psyche clothes, hastily getting changed.

"Petunia, do you know what this means?" She cocks her head at me. "The police don't know that they're in the wrong place. I knew that video looked familiar. They're at the Lipress Offices. I saw the logo in the background of the the video." I go to put the mask on my face and freeze. I'm not Psyche anymore. I don't have my powers. I'm just going to get in the way and maybe get everyone hurt. I lower my mask and grab my phone to call Chief Owens. Petunia barks, startling me. She leaps down and sits beside me, wagging her stubby tail as she stares up at my face, her tongue hanging out as she pants. I smile and squat down, kissing her head.

"I've got them," I assure her, knowing fully well she doesn't understand a thing I'm saying. But I need this confidence boost. "This is my job. I've got this." I kiss Petunia's head again, tuck my mask and phone into my pockets, and climb through my window. I'll call Chief Owens once I'm a little closer.

~

I creep into the new construction of the seventh floor of the office building, keeping my eyes peeled for anything and everything. I slowly turn a corner and see a large control panel. About thirty feet behind that is my family. Michael, Sierra, and dad are closest to the exit. Then Ben, Ashton, and Crystal. After them is Calum, Felix, and Luke. Farthest is Jack, KayKay, and mum. I rush over closer, ducking behind a coat pallet close to the control panel. Mum hears me and looks up. Her eyes immediately spot me and go wide. She nudges Jack, who shakes his head no slightly. I ignore him and pull out my mask, trying it to my face tightly. I then move over to the control panel.

"Psyche," Aftershock calls, "so lovely to finally see you. We were beginning to worry that you wouldn't come for them. I mean, now that they have no interest in you since your powers are gone."

I grit my teeth together, "You're a lying asshole. I don't need my powers to beat you."

He laughs loudly and gestures me forward, "I'm waiting."