Chapter 38

I paused for a second. I looked across the room and saw Kayla. I looked back at the boys and it didn't seem like they saw me so I rushed over to Kayla and dragged her into her room, shut and locked the door.

"Ow, that hurt."

"I don't care!"

"Woah, what is your problem?"

"MY problem? Are you joking right now!"

"What are you talking about?"

"I'm talking about the fact you invited the boys here!"

"Wait-"

"Just because I said that I could be normal around Z didn't mean I wanted you to invite them here!"

"I just thought that it would be a great starting point for you guys..."

"Kayla!"

"I'm sorry, it's just the way you talked about how you guy's talked, it seemed like water under the bridge..."

"Water under the bridge?! Are you out of your mind?"

"I know-"

"Kayla, you don't have the right to just play love doctor and step in when you want!"

"Did I mention I was sorry?"

"Are you kidding me right now? Do you not get it! Stop going behind my back and taking things into your own hands, Kayla!"

I just looked at her while she sat there and didn't say anything.

"You know what, since this whole day was about you to begin with, enjoy the party yourself."

I turned around and opened the door and left the room. I pushed myself through the crowd of people to grab my phone off the counter. I grabbed it and then turned around and bumped into a dude. I regained my balance and looked up.

"Hey, Nessa."-Nick

"Hey."

"Uh.. Happy Birthday."

"Thank you."

There was an awkward pause.

"Look, Nessa-"

"I'm sorry but I can't do this right now."

I pushed myself past him and walked out the door and left. I got in my car and drove back to my place. I walked inside and took my shoes off and looked down at my phone.

 I walked inside and took my shoes off and looked down at my phone

I stared at it for a second and then declined it. I tossed my phone on the counter and walked into my room. I took off my clothes and put on a sweatshirt and sweatpants. I put my hair in a bun and walked to the bathroom to wash my makeup off. I finished putting up my hair and then heard a knock at the door. I guessed it was Kayla so I really didn't want to answer. I stood there for a second and then walked over and opened it.