-Chapter 32: Overprotective Psychiatrist?-

"(Y/n)! So good to see you!" Cadence greeted brightly - her warm smile making you feel happier. "How are you doing?"

"I should be asking you that." You gave a soft laugh and sat down on the end of her bed, enjoying Cadence's company.

"Oh I'm fine." She lightly replied - shifting into a better sitting position, "The knife was just in my side, y'know? Laura's the one who's actually recovering. The only reason I'm still here is because my parents are so dramatic." Cadence rolled her eyes - acting strangely out of character.

"Is Laura alright?" You asked anxiously, "If she's recovering still, does that mean she's in some kind of critical condition?" You felt uneasy at your own question, worrying about your black-haired friend.

"Laura will be okay - at least I hope so - she's just in a lot of pain right now." Cadence's tone of voice switched to a sorrowful one, the blonde girl feeling bad.

"But they'll be able to remove the knife out, right?" You tensed up and tried to remain calm, not wanting to overreact. She said Laura would be fine, after all.

"They will, they will, they're working on it. Right now, as a matter of fact. So I don't think you'll be able to visit her at the moment...I'm sorry, (Y/n)." Cadence explained in a regretful manner, biting her lip and apologising.

"Hey, hey, it's all good." You hid your disappointment and instead acted casual, "I guess that just means I'll have to visit some other time, huh?" Forcing a smile to your face, you hid how you felt and kept your composure; wanting to appear calm and collected.

"I'm sure it'll be sometime soon." She tried to cheer you up, "And I'll message you as soon as they let people visit her." The second part of her reply made you feel a little bit better, your smile being genuine instead of fake now.

"Thanks Cadence." Your voice was filled with gratitude, hoping that you'd receive a text message from your friend fairly soon. "That really does mean a lot to me."

"No problem, that's what friends are—"

"Excuse me," A nurse entered the room and dipped her head for a second, shooting the two of you an apologetic look, "But your parents have arrived."

"I think that's my cue to leave." Your smile twisted into a saddened one as you stood up, "I was hoping we'd have more time together, but I'll visit again soon, 'kay?"

"You don't have to leave you know, they're only my parents, (Y/n)." Cadence responded. "It's not like they hate you or anything."

"I know, but I think your parents will want some family time alone with you." You pointed out, the girl in front of you not being able to come up with a reply. "Besides, it's not like you'll never see me again - you can text me whenever you want and I'll visit when you're free."

"But what about your psychology class? I wouldn't want to get in the way of that - you could fall behind." She fretted on your behalf, making you laugh a little.

"Cadence, I skipped out on it today, so don't even worry about it." You confessed in amusement, "I'll visit you as soon as I can. That sound good to you?"

"Yeah." Cadence relaxed and flashed you another one of her kind-hearted smiles. "It does."

"See you soon." You warmly repeated, giving her a gentle hug and walking towards the door. "And take care of yourself."