15

I looked up at him in a panic, receiving a quiet chuckle from him.

"You're  never this nervous, is it because of the promise I made you all those  years ago when we were together?" he teased, making me remember it even  though I didn't want to.

"I said that when we got back  together and we were both healthy again, we could be a normal couple.  We can kiss and... whatever else lovers do," he smirked, having his mask  cover every expression shown by his mouth. His hand then moved from mine, adjusting to rest on my back while his other gently grabbed my  chin, forcing me to look up at him.

"You aren't very  talkative today, are you? If you're gonna be silent, can you at least say  my name for me?" he asked, caressing my cheek with his gloved thumb.

"K-Kai,"  I croaked out, completely frozen with fear. He seemed to notice my  discomfort, a smile forming behind his mask, visible by the creases  around his eyes.

"There's no need to be afraid of me,  (Y/n). Remember that I love you and that I'm yours and yours alone, the  same goes for me. You're mine and I won't let anyone touch what is  mine, this filthy world is already lucky that you are apart of it." I  watched as he lent forward, pressing his forehead against my own. I  couldn't help but melt into the feeling of his warmth against my skin.

"Now  that we're back together, may I have a kiss?" he asked, rubbing  my back gently with the hand which rested there. Thinking about kissing  Kai filled my stomach with butterflies and sent warmth to my cheeks,  feelings I had only experienced when I was with him.

With pink cheeks, I  nodded, averting my eyes as he pulled his hand off my back and used it  to pull off his mask. Seeing that he was leaning in, I closed my eyes  and readied myself for my first kiss. The kiss I had promised Kai would  claim once were old enough.

I lent in and expected warmth but instead, I  felt something cold against my lips. Opening my eyes, I saw that Kai  now wore a different mask, one which a doctor would have worn in the  past. It was like a birds beak, covering his mouth and nose like his old  black cloth had done.

"Kai, what's happening?" I asked  him, wanting to know why he hadn't kissed me. He had told me before that  he was desperate to kiss me because of his strong feelings, but always  held back since we were so young and he was a little older than me. He  cupped my cheeks and pressed his forehead to mine once again, pulling out a  mask similar to his own. He used the moment of closeness to put it on  me, fastening it at the back so that it would stay on. It reminded me of  animal documentaries where they would show mother and father penguins with their foreheads pressed together. And now that we had the masks,  beaks pointing down towards the ground, it was almost a reenactment.

"Kai?"  I called, wanting him to say something. But he didn't, instead his  hands moved to my upper arms where I felt a sharp excruciating pain. I  tried to push him away but he wouldn't budge, his hands continuing to  hurt me as he activated his quirk to deconstruct small parts of my body.  He did it over and over again, not stopping even though I was  screaming, begging him to let me go. It hurt, it hurt so bad that I  wanted to die. And then he finally released me, reconstructing me before  I fell to my knees. I held myself, sobbing like a child who had lost  their favorite toy.

"Why? K-Kai, it hurts," I croaked  out, my voice cracking. Looking up at him, I noticed something. His  golden eyes were glossed over with tear as if the pain he had caused me  was hurting him too, in a emotional and mental way rather than physical  like my pain.

He the dropped to his knees, taking my  hands and holding them within his own shaking ones. Tears leaked from  his eyes and onto the beak of the mask he wore, running down the curve  until they dripped off the end. This was happening to mine as well but I  hadn't noticed until now, his tears and mine leaking onto our shaking  connected hands as he pulled our foreheads together one last time.