33

The day was almost over, your final class coming to a close. Present Mic's voice had successfully given a majority of us headaches with its volume and we were happy to finally leave. The bell sounded, Present Mic wrapping up the lesson before we were allowed to go. And as soon as we were given the opportunity to leave our seats, an overexcited blonde came bounding over, happiness literally radiating off him.

"Are you ready for our date?!" he announced, his voice reaching the ears of everyone in the class. Glancing up at him, I hummed in response. Pushing off my desk, I stood, taking my bag with me.

"Are you really going on a date?" Mina gushed, rushing over to stand beside the blonde. I shrugged my shoulders whilst shoving my belongings into my bag, readying myself for whatever Kaminari had in store for me.

"Of course we are," the blonde answered with confidence, his hands resting on his hips. Laughter caught the attention of the three of us, other classmates watching for the purpose of entertainment. All eyes moved to Jirou who held her stomach, only now calming down from her fit of laughter.

"Hey, what's so funny?" Kaminari pouted, knowing full well that he was the reason his class mate was laughing.

"As if you're going on a proper date, she's probably doing it out of pity. (L/n) could do way better than you." Her words were harsh but they caught my attention greatly. Her gaze shifted to me, catching mine. She was quick to look away, a light blush adorning her pale face. I thought it to be an unusual reaction but didn't think too hard about it. Hanging out with Kaminari may have been a distraction but I didn't pity him nor did I do it because I saw him in a romantic sense. At this point in time, I want friends and that's it, nothing more.

To distract Kaminari from Jirou's comment, I tapped his shoulder lightly. He immediately snapped out of it, noticing how I looked ready to leave.

"We're just hanging out," I said, moving my eyes from the blonde and over to the blushing girl on the other side of the classroom. Kaminari seemed happy with my words and nodded, the two of us beginning to walk towards the exit.

----------------------------------------

The two of us held small talk as we left the school, heading towards the station. He had told me about a mall a few stations over that had really good food. I remembered going there once before with one of the heroes, but I hadn't been back since. In my memories it was really large, there being a lot to do. And even though I had gone only three years earlier, I couldn't remember too much about it, not even who I went there with.

Not wanting to strain my mind, I kept conversation with Kaminari, small talk leading to tangents of overly random and dumb things. But it was my favorite type of talk, the kind that made no sense to anyone outside and was genuinely hilarious no matter how idiotic it was. In a conversation like this I could laugh openly and tell jokes of my own which would make him laugh too. And it was a great feeling, having someone else laugh at what I had to say. His smile was wide and never seemed to go away, no matter how much time had passed.

Right now we sat on the train, continuing to talk. Unfortunately for us, the sound of Kaminari's phone ringing caused us to fall silent. The momentum of our conversation was lost, the mood changing. His smile disappeared, being replaced with a look of surprise. With an apologetic smile, he answered his cell phone. From the sound of the conversation, he was speaking to his mother. He wasn't necessarily in trouble but she was lecturing him about coming home at a reasonable time.

It reminded me of a conversation I had once had with my own mother. Despite being such a kind and intelligent woman, she tended to worry a lot more than she needed to. I recall one day when I had been playing with children of men who worked under my grandfather for the entirety of the day. Coming home half an hour later than I was supposed to, she greeted me by trapping me in her arms. Her embrace was comforting and as an unknowing child, I hugged my mother in return, not noticing how she breathed deeply in relief. She then scolded me for being late before she left to tend to my newborn sister who had started crying.