37

Awkward silence...

That was what came after the weird hand-holding incident. Both Iida and I had finished our food and now sat in silence, neither of us having a clue what to say. It was the first time I had felt this lost for words, my mind not being able to conjure up anything to say or ask the boy who sat next to me.

"So, you said you used to train?" he asked, keeping his eyes on his lap. I was thankful that he was the one to speak first, receiving a nod from me.

"Yeah, I used to train a lot when I was younger. I had a teacher who lived nearby who would teach me martial arts as well as general school work," I answered, pulling my knees to my chest, resting my chin upon them.

"Do you mind if I ask what you did while training? Your abilities are so vast, I'm just wondering what things you would work on." I found no problem giving him the answer to this question, remembering all of the training I used to do with my teacher.

"Well, there was general martial arts for combat but I also did a lot of things like yoga and gymnastics for flexibility and training my reflexes. My quirk also relies on mental strength so meditation was a big part, especially with sensory."

"You can use your quirk for sensory?" he inquired. I hummed quietly, closing my eyes since the sun shone through the branches of the tree above and into them.

"Yes, but I don't use it for that any more. I could use it to sense people's aura's and recognize those of people around me. It was not long after my mother passed that I completely gave it up. Sometimes my quirk plays up when I get overly emotional and so if don't train that aspect of it, I won't have to worry about any problems with it." Iida nodded along as he listened. There was another moment of silence, this one a lot less awkward than the first.

"I noticed that you were a bit off yesterday, is everything okay?" he asked, startling me. I looked up at him in shock, having not given a thought that anyone would notice something was up with me. Burying my face in my knees, I heaved a quiet sigh.

"I'm surprised that someone noticed that there was something up, it's quite unexpected. It's nothing you really need to worry about but it all derives from my problems with trust. I undermined a friend's trust and now I worry that I've lost them forever," I told him, no longer caring about what he heard from me.

"Is that why you wouldn't shake my hand when we met? Because you find it hard to trust others?" Iida questioned, looking concerned. I nodded.

"Something horrible happened to my mother and even though I know that he would never do such a thing to me... I still shut myself off. I try my hardest to trust people but sometimes it's really hard for me."

"It's not your fault, you're allowed to be afraid," he said, noticing me shiver gently as the sun moved behind a cloud. Reaching back, he pulled out the jacket he had brought with him this morning and draped it over my shoulders. Feeling the abnormal warmth against me, I looked back, directing a smile at Iida after seeing his harmless act of kindness.

"Thank you, Iida. It really means a lot, not only with the training but also this just now. After losing my closest friend, I have no one to turn to."

"What about your father?" Hearing that made me laugh, making Iida give a concerned look.

"My old man hasn't been in my life for a long time, not that that's a bad thing," I said, whispering the last part. Iida still heard me, his worried gaze not leaving me for a second. Lifting my head, I met his gaze.

"Please don't pity me, Iida," I told him, my tone dull and face without emotion. He gave a slow nod, averting his gaze.

"I'm not pitying you, I'm just worried. If you're not living with your parents, who are you staying with? Other family members?" he asked.