40

Eyes widened. All attention moved to me the very second the pulse had been emitted, knocking Tokoyami and Dark Shadow away. The bird-headed boy quickly recovered, getting up and continuing to chase us as we ran, not planning on stopping. Sero's surprised expression hadn't changed, his gaze shifting to me as I ran beside him.

"What the hell was that?" he asked, still shocked. Aoyama was in the same state, trying to figure out what had just happened. But this was the first time I had done anything like that, it was a pulse which pushed everything away from myself and everything I was shielding. There was so much I had learnt I could do with my quirk and this one was completely unknown to me. It actually scared me since it happened so suddenly, my classmates looking as shocked as I was.

"I have no idea," I called back, being in the same boat as the boy with the tape quirk. Glancing behind us, I noticed how Tokoyami continued to tail us, not looking like he was going to give up. He had a determined glint in his eye, his teammates following a lot further behind.

I knew for a fact that facing Tokoyami head-on wasn't the best idea, if I was going to attempt taking out their team I would've focused on getting Koda. He was the weakest member of their team and it would be the easiest way to wipe them out. Although, I was sure that I would be able to take Shoji out if I had too, his strength being no match for my quirk.

Taking another look back at Tokoyami, I noticed how he was growing closer once again. I wasn't sure how he was able to keep up with us even after what had happened earlier but he was doing well, not slowing down all. I knew that he would eventually catch up again and there was no way I could rely on whatever my quirk had done earlier. It was something I needed to figure out and there was no time to do that here.

Glancing around, I struggled to come up with a plan. There was only one thing I could really think of doing and despite how risky it was, there were no alternatives coming to mind. I would have to get Sero and Aoyama out of the way and then face Tokoyami myself. The other two were no match for him, Sero's quirk being useless against Tokoyami and Aoyama's probability of actually hitting Tokoyami being very low. Not only that but if he used his quirk too much and ended up in pain, he would be a liability to the team. Right now I had to do what would put my team on top and the only chance we had was to get the others to a safe place and then fight Tokoyami as well as I could.

"I've got a plan," I called, having both Sero and Aoyama turn their attention to me. Both gave me a look of relief, feeling happy that they would no longer have to endure the chase they were currently involved in.

"What is it?" Sero asked as we leapt over another gap between the buildings, landing on the next before running again.

"Take Aoyama somewhere safe, I'm gonna face Tokoyami," I said, immediately being able to see the worry on Sero's face. Everyone knew that Tokoyami was strong but you were as well, meaning that this fight could go either way. I could tell by Sero's changing expression that he was conflicted about it, gritting his teeth with eyebrows furrowed. Meeting my gaze, he saw how confident I looked in my plan. This was the only thing I could think of that would get us out of this situation.

"Fine, but we're staying nearby in case you need help," he bargained. His dark eyes locked onto a nearby lamppost, tape shooting out of his elbow and wrapping around it. Aoyama panicked as Sero ran towards the roof's edge, closing his eyes tightly as Sero jumped off. I watched as the pair fell before the tape caught them, the momentum of the fall causing them to swing off the lamp post. Reaching the highest point on the other side, Sero disconnected from the tape and landed on the building on the other side.

Seeing that they had safely reached the other side made me feel relieved, now I could face Tokoyami without worrying about them getting in my way. It wasn't that they were a liability to me but I knew that it would be so much easier for Tokoyami to catch one of the others than it would be to get ahold of me.