36

I sat alone in my room, the only sounds being muffled talking from downstairs and birds loudly chirping outside. After awkwardly eating breakfast with the Shinso family, I returned to the safety of my room and here I was now, sitting cross-legged on my bed. It was upsetting that life here wasn't the way it used to be. My relationship with both Hitoshi and his mother were completely destroyed.

I had been sitting on my bed in deep thought for around 30 minutes when an urgent thought came to mind. I needed to get out of here. It wasn't that I wanted to get out of here permanently, all I wanted was a day away from the awkward atmosphere that had been caused by both Mihoko's rage and my fight with Hitoshi. If I could leave for the day, I thought it would make me feel better and hopefully lessen the stress on the Shinso family.

Standing from my bed, I left my bedroom and headed down the stairs. Just as I descended down the stairs, Hajime approached the stairs. He was fixing his tie, looking ready for work which surprised me since it was a Saturday. As soon as I met his gaze, he sent me his usual lazy smile.

"Going somewhere?" he asked, his voice kind. I nodded, stepping off the last stair.

"I was thinking about going for a walk," I told him, avoiding his gaze in fear of him rejecting my wish. But nothing of that sort happened, instead, I felt a hand on top of my head.

"Okay, I have to duck into the office for a bit but I'll be back in the early afternoon. Be safe," he said before rushing past me up the stairs. I was shocked by his action, watching him turn the corner and disappear into his room. I stood there for a moment, trying to process what happened.

It was the sound of his bedroom door being closed for the second time that brought me back to reality. Not wanting him to see me looking so shocked, I rushed towards the front door and left. From there I chose a direction I was familiar with. It was the same direction that Hitoshi and I would usually take to reach the train station which took about 10 minutes to walk to.

I walked in this direction for five minutes, stopping when I saw an alley between two houses. A sign pointed down it, giving the name of the street on the other side. I had walked passed this place many times but had never had the urge to go that way, that is until now.

Wanting to explore a part of the neighbourhood I wasn't too familiar with, I took the risk and walked down the alleyway. The alley lead to another street and after walking down that one for another twenty to twenty-five minutes, I noticed that the houses started looking a lot nicer.

It was obvious that I had walked into a wealthier area, the houses were large in size and looked neat with their newly painted walls and spotless windows. But something stood out even more to me, that being a running track which connected to a spacious park. Not having anything else to do, I entered the park and began walking down the path, noticing something move quickly in the corner of my eye. Turning my attention towards the running track, I spotted someone I recognized.

Iida stood with his hands on his knees, puffing as he tried to regain his breath after completing multiple laps on the track. If anything, I was surprised to see Iida, not having expected to see anyone I knew let alone my class rep.

Lifting his head, the spectacled male's eyes locked onto my partially hidden figure. Recognising me as well, he lifted his hand and gave an exaggerated yet robotic wave. Feeling welcomed by him, I fully emerged from the park and began walking towards him. Iida waited patiently as I walked closer, wiping sweat from his forehead.

"I didn't know you lived around here," Iida said, walking forward to meet me. I nodded, holding my own hand for reassurance.

"Yeah, I was just walking around and I found this area, I've never been to this part of the neighbourhood." He smiled happily down at me before taking a drink from his water bottle.