Chapter 32 : Warning

RUBY JANE'S POV

Sunday was the only day I felt like a old lady living with her 10 cats at home. From shelf to shelf, I stopped in front of each item that I found intriguing. Although I know I didn't need it, I still didn't end up buying it and thinking that I might need it sometime. If I hadn't set a limit, my apartment would be full of different stuff. I walked with my basket in my hand and my eyes scanning the shelf above that I hadn't seen a little girl running towards me as she rushed at me.

"I'm sorry madam!" I immediately looked at the little creature in front of me who had her head down.

"It's okay sweetie." she raised her head quickly and her eyes widened. Her pretty smile appeared on her innocent face. Her chestnut hair had lightly lightened and curled since last time I've met her. 

"Ruby Jane!"

"How are you? Wait, are you alone?" I asked her, looking around me, if her mother wasn't there, and I was hoping she wasn't with Lisa. Before Lia could answer, a stern voice was heard behind me. You didn't have to think to understand that it was her mother and that she didn't seem happy at all.

"Lia, how many times do I have to tell you to wait for me when you want to go somewhere? Something could happen to you and mommy won't be able to be there to help you." Yaya stood with her arms crossed in front of the small girl whose head was down again.

"I'm sorry mommy... I just didn't want to bother you because you were talking to your friend. Plus, I know everyone who works here." she tried to explain herself under her mother's terrifying gaze. However, Yaya was right. Although I don't really like this woman, she was a good mother. Nowadays, you have to be careful with everyone because you don't know what's behind their minds... like me.

"I don't want this kind of thing to happen next time, is that clear?"

"Yes mommy..." I was thinking about sneaking out because I didn't really want to have a discussion with this woman, especially when we were alone. How do you explain that when Lisa is around, she and I play a role because no one wants to pretend to be the bad one when deep inside, we're just judging each other. This is something that is common to the majority of women.

"Oh hi Ruby Jane, I'm sorry I didn't see you." she said it both courteously and sarcastically but completely failed because the tone of her voice was not genuine. One thing I respected about this woman was that she never used insults. She was the type of woman to criticize everything and everyone because she thought she was the daughter of whoever. She would not compromise her reputation by slapping or yelling at someone in public. I can see why Lisa decided to marry her. She looked like the perfect woman who was taking care of her family. But apparently, she wasn't that perfect since Lisa has been coming to me for complete her life. 

"It's okay because I took a few minutes myself to remember who you were... you know sometimes when you get your head in the clouds." I simply smiled and could see her fuming eyes. Another thing that women were able to do was to communicate to each other by using only the eyes. I bet my life on it that she was slapping me in the face for my sassy tone.

Sorry honey but you are the one who started the game.

"Tell me Ruby Jane, not to be rude, but don't you work?" that's exactly what I was saying. In the society, she was the kind of woman who criticized you for not meeting the standards. You were a parasite to them who didn't do anything all day and only took advantage of the system. This made them believe that they were better than everyone else.

"I haven't been working for some time now. I spend my days educating myself with books or meeting people who bring me new experiences." I put intonation on the last part of my explanation.