Chapter 36 : Play [M]

RUBY JANE'S POV

"Dad, mom, I already informed you by message that I have arrived at the apartment.... Yes, I have all my stuff with me... no, I didn't leave anything at the hotel. What? No, why would I forget that? It was only once and it was because I was very young and very stupid... Yes, I love you too, I will miss you and thank you for this short trip. I promise to take care of myself and yes, Dad, I will call you if I need anything. Have a good flight and next time you decide to come, please let me know because you will be surprised not to find me at home. Of course, I'm kidding, I love you so much! Bye!" I hung up the phone and immediately dropped into my bed. It was so good to be able to go home because in the end, you're never better than at home.

The trip was rich in culture, anyway, it's always so with my parents. We had visited countless places that I didn't think existed in this country. When you decided to get off the beaten track, you realize that there is so much to discover. I also realized how much I missed seeing them. They have always remained as curious and open to the world as ever, except that this time I felt like I had two teenagers with me. Needless to say, I was embarrassed to see their flirting, sometimes I wanted to wash my eyes.

Sometimes I would think of Lisa and wonder what she was doing. Most of the time, we didn't have the opportunity to discuss in the evening so our messages didn't last very long. I wish she could have come with us. Besides, she seems to get along well with my parents who show her openly that they appreciate her.

I looked up to look at the alarm clock on the bedside table indicating that I had a few hours left before Lisa arrived. It gave me the opportunity to take a shower and find something to eat. Regarding my small luggage, I will sort my stuff later.

Procrastination is my thing. 

Sitting comfortably in my armchair, I was leafing through a guide on travelling in Europe. Many pages were each time dedicated to a city. I would put a post-it note on the page when I was interested in the destination because it was rich in history or when the activities offered were worth it. This short trip with my parents made my mouth water again to travel. Not because I didn't like my country, it was just that I needed to see something other than high buildings where people walk headlong without paying attention to others. 

The bell of the apartment rang. A wave of excitement appeared and I had a hard time hiding it. I stopped in front of the mirror near the entrance, checking my outfit that I had previously chosen. Nothing better than wearing shorts and a crop top in this hot weather. My hair in a bun so a few strands were loose.  

Simple but effective. 

I opened the door revealing Lisa in her simplest clothes. However, she didn't seem to be at her best, her face a little pale and her features stiff, she seemed to have not slept enough. 

"Hey."

"Hey." she suddenly became uncomfortable and couldn't hold in place. Something told me that her visit wasn't going to happen as I thought it would.

"Come in. You're not going to stay at the door." I motioned her to enter. She stood in the middle of the living room looking around as if she had just discovered the place.

"Hmm listen, Ruby Jane... I won't be staying long, but- we need to talk." she looked me straight in the eye, trying to be serious, but I saw fear in it above all. This simple information made me understand what she wanted to talk about. I don't know what happened during my short absence, but one thing I knew for sure was that her sweet wife had pulled out all the stops.

Let's see what excuse you come up with this time, Manoban. 

"Okay, go ahead." I sat in my armchair and took the guide I was reading right away, making it look like I wasn't worried about anything.