PART 9

It was approaching night time as I was walking throughout the pathways in the Uchiha compound, taking in the various aromas of coffee beans, pastries, and sweets. I even greeted a couple of people, though I felt out of place by my obvious Hyuga crest versus the Uchiha fan proudly adorned throughout.
Some people took it offensively, evident by the slight frown on their faces and chatter, but others were not so bothered and in fact were actually happy.

"Ah-hah! I once had a old Hyuga friend, she passed now but she helped me with everything." An old lady, waddling on her crane for support, said through raspy breaths.
"Heh! Did she now? Maybe I can help you with errands any time I drop by here."
"Let's go to that bakery," She pointed, "And get some bread. The lad that makes the bread there has been working there ever since I was about your age, fighting.
A veteran! "Ooh! Does that mean you possess those scary eyes, the sharingan?" I got into a karate pose, dramatizing the conversation. Maybe it would make her seemingly bland life more entertaining. And it did, evident by her hearty laugh.
"Yes! I did." The old lady reached for the back of her pocket for money, patting it profusely.
Byakugan. She had no change.
"Ah! Don't worry, obaa-chan." I placed a hand on her shoulder, and she looked up at me thankfully, "I got you this time. Can I get two of those loafs of bread please?" The man stared at me and the crest on my chest.
"Are you the Hyuga the Uchiha allied with not too long ago?"
I nodded.
"Nice to meet you! It's on the house." He promptly packaged the two pieces of bread.
"O-oh! No! No way. You have a business to run, and it's a warring period. You need it. I insist, take it."
He chucked, rubbing the nape of his neck. He was old and his fingertips had been covered in flour. He must be working really hard.
I tipped him a bow, thanking him, both of us now waving goodbye.

"The Uchiha are so hospitable." I noticed quickly.
"Mmm, we are people motivated by love. That's why." Obaa-chan spoke. I nodded. I thought of Madara and how his two mighty hands had been keeping the clan safe the way it was now. I was in awe. I wasn't able to do that without the help of my family, and even then the Hyuga were sometimes difficult to manage, since resentment was an occasional trait to foster amongst the branch families.

She began to waddle on her feet, looking up at me intently, and analyzing my face. I almost knew where this was going, that look was beginning to get common as I grew older.
"Such a beautiful girl." She complimented me. I itched my head, not sure how to take it. "Heheh, thank you!"
"Mmm, I want to show you something," She reached for her back pocket, pulling out pictures of two brooding men. Jeez, was it an Uchiha thing for all of them to look so intimidating?
"You should wed one of them. Pick. Both of them good, strong, tall men, very handsome too..." She pointed at their faces, as if I couldn't notice that.

I stopped in my tracks. My jaw dropped to the floor.
"H-hey! Obaa-chan! I don't want that! B-besides..."

Why did I think of Madara?

She sighed, "I hoped that they could marry a strong beautiful woman like you, but they are just so busy with fighting for the sake of the clan that they barely have time for such."
"I'm sure they'll find someone!" I nudged her elbow. It was a common antic for elderly women to start scouting for their sons - marriage was seen as one of the greatest blessings.
She sighed, chuckling. "I suppose!"

"Anyways, obaa-chan, your house is right over there." I pointed to it, I knew by the flowers she collected. "I must meet your clan leader, Madara-sama." She keenly eyed me.
"Good luck with that frightening man." She spoke.

Why would Madara's own clans mates be afraid of him? I chuckled, I didn't blame them, remembering his terrifying set of eyes. I get nervous around him too.

--

My heart slightly raced as I was approaching the shrine, and I found him sitting on a ledge sipping on a cup of tea. He was in his yukata, with his hair down, and he had seemed relaxed. An odd site to see.