PART 16

"Where are you going?" Hayate had asked his daughter.
"Madara invited me to the Uchiha's annual festival. I'll be back later." She gave her father a hug before leaving.
He sighed, and his eyes were relaxed. They were spending a lot of time together lately, Hayate observed. "Be safe."

-

Madara's senses were immediately hit with the aromas of popcorn, sweets, dango, fried foods and the sounds of singers at the stage over on the other side. He thought of Izuna who had managed the festival this time - scouting for sponsorships to help fund the most anticipated event of the year. The idea was to gather all the Uchiha on a friendly basis, and to help build rapport with one another. Izuna did a good job, Madara thought, evident by the many kids who were running around and playing with each other, and the families that were chatting and smiling and enjoying the food. It made Madara strangely content, to see them all get along with each other. I want to keep it like this.

"O-oi! Kenzo! Don't try breaking the machine!" He heard that soft voice and immediately knew who it was. He turned around to see the Hyuga princess adorned rather beautifully, looking after a toddler, who was hitting one of the gaming machines because he did not win. Who...?

Her head immediately bopped up and her pale eyes met his, as if she sensed his presence.
"Well, if it isn't you, Madara!" Ayumi shuffled towards the Uchiha leader, tugging the toddler.

"Ayumi." He quickly eyed her, noticing her gentle curves. She wore a cream white yukata with a golden belt that cinched in her waist, her black tresses were straight and silky. He noticed the many eyes she would attract from the unmarried men amongst the Uchiha. The thought slightly irritated Madara as that territoriality arose in his chest over seeing her again.

Madara couldn't help but look at the child that stood next to her. He was clutching onto Ayumi's leg as some kind of security, he noticed. Madara took it as the child being afraid of him, so he decided to soften his gaze. Be gentle with children and women, he recalled his mother's words. Madara crouched down to the level of the toddler, ruffling his hair.

"Who's he?" Madara asked curiously, standing upright now. Ayumi smiled at his friendly gesture.
"Kenzo Hyuga." She squeezed Kenzo's palm, "A child of a close family friend. They insisted I take him to get more along with kids his age. I hope that's okay." She looked up at Madara and met his eyes, and though she did not know why, she felt a spark.

"I see. That's okay." Madara said, he quickly scanned the area to see if any free Uchiha were nearby. "You over there. Itami, take this child to the park and buy him whatever he likes."

"Sure." Itami grabbed Kenzo's hand, and he skipped happily away.

Ayumi's mouth dropped "M-Madara! You didn't have to do that..." She itched the back of her head.

"I'd rather us be alone."
"Alone?" She nudged his shoulder.
"Enough! You always push it."
"Hahah! I'm just kidding, Madara."

Madara was smiling now, and Ayumi was taken aback. She liked seeing him like this, she noted. It felt special.
Madara glanced at the couples nearby and noticed how they had a tendency to hold hands. Maybe he should initiate that sort of contact with her, he decided. Such intimacy would be out of his comfort zone, but he wanted to make her feel special, a courtesy he could grant her at least for tonight.
"Come." He grabbed her hand into his, and she almost immediately blushed.

"Madara..." She whispered quietly, smiling, and she held his hand back. It was significantly bigger than hers, she noted his calloused hands, and she oddly felt safe. She looked up at the sky. "Let's go to that cliff top! But wait. Let's grab this - inarizushi."

Madara's eyes lit up, looking at her and then looking away, smiling once more. He did not understand why her companionship in particular meant so much to him. And so the two trekked along the compound like that, hand in hand, with no care in the world what anybody had to say.

-

Ayumi and Madara made it to the clifftop where they admired the stars above them and the chatter beneath them. The festival was growing bigger, more people were attending. He kept staring at Ayumi every time she took a bite out of her sushi. She would notice this, by occasionally returning his glance.

It finally hit her, that's why he kept doing that.

"Oh my god, Madara." Ayumi placed the plate of sushi between them. "Don't tell me... that's your favourite food?"

Madara scoffed, looking away. As if such a great renowned shinobi whose very name would strike fear into people could have such petty preferences. He did not even try to deny her discovery, though, because it was true.

"Man! What do you know. You Uchiha could learn to be more direct, y'know." She laughed, inching the plate closer to his side, "Take it, Madara." She looked up at him, and Madara met her gaze in a tenderly way. He hated to admit it, but she was growing on him.

"Why would you offer me some?" Madara was unsettled by her generous offer. He had grown amongst brothers who savanged for food during earlier war times.

"Madara!" Ayumi chuckled, "We're... friends. That's why." Ayumi played with her fingers anxiously, blushing a soft pink as she stared at the night sky above her. Madara had hoped some day he would be more to her than that.

"Hm." Madara hummed, taking one and eating it. He was enjoying it - unsure of whether or not it tasted so good because it came from her or because it was well made. She was grinning childishly at him.

"What's that grin for?" Madara peeked at her, finishing his part of the snack.
"Nothing. You just look so different now." Ayumi admired his softer side, though he did not show it to anyone else but his family. "You're actually really kind, and devout, you know."

"Oh?"
"Yeah. Before I met you, I heard a bunch of rumours saying that you were really mean and scary. Which I mean... wasn't all that off from our first encounter."

He recounted their first encounter at the diplomatic meeting. He had heard things about her, about how she had grown into a mature woman and how strong she had become.
"War is war. I suppose." Madara stood up on this two foot, "Though I plan to want to keep it this way." He reminiscently looked at how peaceful the Uchiha seemed. It had been too long since everyone was at rest.

"Madara..." Ayumi stood beside him, "Are you thinking of the..."
"Yes." Madara spoke, crossing his arms. "Heh. Hashirama and I would spout our nonsense at this clifftop as younger brats, actually."

"Huh. I could see why." Ayumi took in the clear whopping view of the landscape - it was beautiful. It looked like the trees were protecting the Uchiha clan from here.

"It doesn't seem so impossible, now that..." Madara turned to Ayumi's direction, and held her face with his left hand, the pad of his calloused thumb travelled along her pink cheek. Instinctively he wanted to reach in and embrace her, but he held off and decided to tame his whims.

"Now that I'm here to help too." She held his hand.
His eyes softened. She did inspire him to perceive the deaths of his brothers differently now. They no longer died unnecessarily, but for strides towards the greater good.

-

Their legs were dangling off of the clifftop, and their conversation was interrupted by the firework that had went off.
"It's time for fireworks! Look at that." Ayumi said, admiring the spur of colours, "It's so beautiful."
Madara glanced at her and noticed how wide her eyes got - she was like a child discovering something new.
"Not too shabby." Madara spoke. He was enjoying it more so because he was with her. He decided to wrap an arm over her shoulder, bringing her closer in. He was growing more comfortable with her alone.
Ayumi's head rested on his chest. I feel so safe.