PART 23

"Nii-san!" Izuna was jogging behind his elder brother, now ahead of him, "Last one home is a rotten egg!"

"Oi! Come back! That's not fair!" Madara trailed behind him, deliberately letting Izuna go ahead. They were training, a layer of sweat and grime had covered their faces.

"Oof! I'm tired." Izuna made it first into the household, immediately bombarded by the smells of cooking their mother had been preparing.

"No fighting in the battlefield today." Madara ruffled his younger brother's hair.
"Mm!" Izuna chirped.
Madara looked up at the ceiling. "What do you say, we ditch mother's lunch and get some ice cream?"

But all Madara heard was a deep snoring in response.

"Huh?" Madara muttered, he looked to the side to see his younger brother asleep, with a line of drool pooling to one side of his face. He grew so tired.

"Heh." Madara grinned. "I guess that's okay too. I'll always protect you, Izuna."

Madara recalled his new friend Hashirama's words about some day being able to create a world where all the fighting would stop. He dreamed of such a reality every time he would look at Izuna. Madara would make it possible no matter what, at least for his younger brother's sake.

 Madara would make it possible no matter what, at least for his younger brother's sake

Madara bit the inside of his cheek, forcing himself to zone back to reality.

"Earth to Madara-sama? Are you there?" Hanuko, who was one of the granddaughters of the elder councillors, snapped her fingers in front of his face.
"Don't come near me, woman." Madara snapped. He was in the meeting with the elder Uchiha councillors, debriefing them about what happened at the Senju.

"Anyway," Madara got up from his seat, "If there is anything else, you know where to find me."

"There is one more thing." One of the elders spoke.
"Hmm?" Madara hummed.

The elders spared each other glances, incredibly unsure of how to even approach the daunting leader of such a suggestion.

"You should start thinking of marriage. You are hitting your mid-twenties now and you should think of building a lineage of successorship for the Uchiha clan."

Madara scoffed. He couldn't believe this. The elders settled their glance on Hanuko.

Madara was quick to catch onto their plotting.

"I think there has been a misunderstanding." Madara crossed his arms. "That sort of decision is mine and mine alone." His voice grew colder, they would understand the message now, Madara thought. The annoyed Uchiha woman sighed.

Madara couldn't help but think of Ayumi instead, her dumb grin was plastered in the back of his mind.

-