PART 54

Madara was standing in a strange dimension. It was pitch black all around him, and he was floating amidst. Across from him stood a strange man - it was too dark to see who it was.

"Why are you so afraid?"

"Excuse me?" Madara stepped forward, baffled at how blunt the mysterious stranger had been towards him. "I'm not afraid. I would tread more carefully if I were in your place."

"You are afraid. You're running away. You can't handle the heat."

Madara's eyebrows fell, and it cast a dark shadow on his stern features. 

Deep inside, Madara felt that this stranger was right. 

"I said watch it." Madara stepped forward in spite.

"Take a moment and think to yourself about it. Leaving the village when times get tough. You know... I'm right." The stranger's arms fell to his sides.

Madara's head dangled  The figure indeed was right. Madara had visions of Izuna, Tajima, his mother, and the rest of his brothers, and lastly, the village and the clan he had so sought to protect flash before him. He had failed all of them.

Madara curled his fist.

"I'm not fit to help anyone. Not my family, not my friends, my clan... nobody." Madara defeatedly admitted.

The strange figure had come to light now, and who was it? Madara's breath hitched, and he would be lying to himself if he said he felt comfortable.

 It was his reflection this entire time speaking to him.

Madara gasped, stirring awake, his eyes on the ceiling.

"Just a dream." The Uchiha stared at his hand. Madara turned to the left to see his wife still sleeping, her chest slowly rising and falling. It had been too early to get up as of now.

"Ayumi." Madara muttered.

I swore I'd protect you.