PART 45

* TIME SKIP *

It had been a little over two months since their wedding. Madara had now been slowly walking throughout the Uchiha district, on his way to pay Izuna a visit. His condition had been growing more troubling, Madara's lips mulled into a thin line at the thought of his last brother suffering yet again from the hands of the Senju.

Though unknown to her, Ayumi had comforted Madara through this hard time. He was sure he'd lose both his parents soon, and if destiny allowed it to happen, Izuna too. She was all he had left, Madara thought. His safe haven, and he would protect her with all his might.

Madara looked up to the night sky, and every time he saw the moon he thought of Ayumi. She didn't pry too much when he had to make unannounced visits to Izuna, and she often respected his boundaries. He hadn't made a mistake marrying her, Madara was certain about that.

It didn't take too long until Madara reached his old family house, sliding the shoji door. His eyes immediately fell to the piles of paper stacked neatly on a low table. Madara made his way through the shelter which had been too familiar to him, his weight slowly creaking on the tatami mats.

"Madara?" He heard a deep muffled voice, and he turned around to meet the source of it. A fond smile, though small, grew on Madara's face. He slid open the door to his room.

"Izuna." Madara sat cross legged beside his brother, who had been laying down on a futon. Izuna, though wincing in pain, had quickly sat upright.

The state of seeing his brother weak had trembled Madara's heart. "Izuna. Let me see your wounds."

"No." Izuna spoke proudly.
Madara could understand where his brother had been coming from, maintaining his dignity even though his health had been withering. "Stop being like that. And let me see it."

Izuna's shoulders slumped.
"Nevermind me." Izuna itched his forehead, his yukata slipping off his shoulders to expose his torso. "You should check up on father and mother."
"I will." Madara inspected his back, taking out the ointments he had prepared specially for wounds like his. "Right after I see you."

Izuna slightly flinched when he felt the cold ointment touch his skin, but he quickly frowned.
"Nii-san." Izuna spoke solemnly.

Madara hadn't heard Izuna call him by that for a while now.
"Ah?" Madara continued.

"I don't think I have much time left. And besides, that medicine you bring doesn't really fix what's going on inside. Just takes care of the mess from outside." His eyes cast to the floor.

Izuna hadn't been entirely that off, and that's what slighted Madara, as he frowned, furrowing his eyebrows.
"I know that." Was all the Uchiha could work up to say. But if Madara could do something to even bring his Izuna a temporary comfort, he would do just that.

It stayed silent as Madara continued his work.

"How is Ayumi?" Izuna broke the brewing silence, a smile forming on his face. "You know, I really like her. Just talking about her makes me smile."

Madara had mentally agreed with Izuna. She had a way with Madara that was comforting without being boldly annoying. Madara cracked open another ointment, his movements were both practiced and swift. And particularly gentle, especially with his brother.
"She's doing well." Madara said, scooping some of the topical gel with his fingers. "What about... Naomi?" Madara hesitated to ask, but he would want the same happiness for Izuna as well.