PART 56

*DURING AYUMI'S DEATH*

Ayumi could feel life its very self leaving her body, her soul being snatched and extracted from every cell. It was painful. She could have sworn she saw the Death God. Except it would be taking two lives -- her son... and hers. She slowly slipped into her subconscious.

All she could feel was Madara cradling her body. The rain drops hitting her face cold. Eventually Ayumi lost her senses. And then it went white.

... What is this? ...

... Where am I?

... Huh? ...

She was afloat in a white dimension now.

She could see Madara crying. But he could not hear her call for him.

"Madara!" Ayumi yelled. "I..." Ayumi clenched her fists. "... I guess this really is it. Is this Hell?"

Ayumi's head dangled down. She noticed that her belly was flat; her child had died. She didn't know how to feel with a lot happening within a short period of time. Was she really ready for a child after all?

Ayumi could clearly still witness Madara's life. At least that was the slightest bit of comfort she had in this vast space of loneliness. A few moments passed by of her watching Madara mourn. She felt horrible that Madara had to go through this again.

"So I see you've made it."

A voice spoke, which rattled her.

"Who is it?" Ayumi frantically looked around. He came into appearance. That Otsutsuki

"Otsutsuki Hamura!" Ayumi spoke. She felt slightly relieved.

Hamura extended his hand towards her. "So I see you've failed."

"Failed?" Ayumi clicked her tongue, earning a chuckle from the white-haired man. it frustrated her. "What do you mean by that?"

"You couldn't stop Madara from falling into his descent of darkness." Hamura said. "That was your purpose in that world."

"What?!" Ayumi's face tensed up. "... What...?" She was now shocked. Everything had made sense now.

"We were counting on you up in the moon to set everything right, but... seems like fate had other things planned." Hamura crossed his arms.

"I think... I need to go back to him." She looked at Madara. "Am I able to reverse this?" She meant by her death.

Hamura clicked his tongue, and shook his head. "I'm afraid not." Hamura took a couple steps forward. "All we can do is sit, watch and see what will unfold. Your time is up, there was nothing you could possibly further do."

Ayumi pouted much like a sad child. She hated feeling like this.

"I guess... I'll be watching over you, Madara." She muttered underneath her breath. One day you'll be here with me too.

Hamura disappeared into a dust of smoke.

"Hey!" Ayumi stepped forward, worried. "I! I... I'm all alone..."

--

Madara had spent a moment with Ayumi's body in his arms, which now grew cold. He was too familiar with this feeling, but it hit different this time. He had to find a way to bury her, he wouldn't leave her here he decided. 

He didn't bother wiping his tears, the rain did that for him. He heard faint rustling nearby, he quickly remembered it was one of the Anbu who had been taken down by a genjutsu. Its effects must have been wearing off on him.

It was an opportunity for Madara to release his wrath and contempt.

He stood silent, as the Anbu man had come into view now. All Madara could see was red.

The rage that brewed in Madara was unfathomable. If it was dark before, it was black now. Madara's eyes swirled a deep amber colour.

Amaterasu. He set flames to the Anbu. He thought the pain was sufficient. The Anbu man had began screaming in agony. 

Just like the agony Madara had felt not too long ago.

"Eternal black flames. They will scorch you until the end of time. There's no way to stop it, nor will this rain help you." Madara crossed his arms. "A befitting ending, isn't it?

Madara watched the Anbu man die slowly. A life for a life.

Madara turned on his feet and looked at Ayumi's corpse behind him. He recalled her last words.

Protect my dreams. They're yours now.

Madara clenched his fist. He didn't think he'd be able to get back from the dark place he was in. No more. He was going to seek justice now.

Madara sighed, rubbing his temples. The Amaterasu was taxing on him.

"I'm going to bury you with my family." Madara spoke. Which means... I need to head back to Konohagakure.

He kneeled down, and placed Ayumi's corpse in a sealing scroll. No one would take her death lightly.

While Madara began to walk, his leaf headband fell from his pocket. He stopped to stare at it for a moment, really soaking in what it had once meant to him.

"I was naive to think it would work."

Madara continued his steps.

-- 

Madara had managed to sneak his way into Konohagakure unknown. 

He stood before his brothers' and parents' graves. The anger that had been coursing through his veins was indescribable. He decided would unleash it unto the village particularly towards Hashirama.

He kneeled unto the ground, the soil had been slightly damp due to the rainfall. He opened a scroll, summoning Ayumi's corpse.

There Ayumi was, her pale frail body devoid of any sign of life. He respectfully closed her eyelids.

He took a deep breath. He could feel the red in his eyes; his intense emotions were beginning to convey his Eternal Mangekyo Sharingan

Madara began to dig into the dirt.

-- 

Madara stood over the Hokage Monument. he had a trick hidden up his sleeve for the longest time now. With his Sharingan, Madara could provoke the nine-tailed beast, but Mito had been its current jinchuuriki.  

No. I want to fight him.

Madara clenched his fists. 

A fight would soon ensue between the two.