PART 40

"Madara." Hashirama's doe-like eyes lit up as his friend made himself welcome into the office. "I heard what happened. Is Ayumi holding up well?"

But the Uchiha's eyes were merely staring back at him bored, and he took a couple of steps forward to his desk.
"She's fine." Madara placed two hands on his hips. "What I'm here to tell you is that they were killed. So if you get complaints about any bodies, that is why." Madara crossed his arms.

Hashirama slumped back into his chair sighing in defeat. "It's a shame that killings still happen."

Madara scoffed, holding himself back from sparing him a philosophy tangent on why such a paradox would never just disappear. Hashirama had been naively convinced that fighting would stop. "We are shinobi after all." Madara instead simply spoke.

"Hmm." Hashirama hummed, leaning forward over his desk. "There is one more favour I need to ask of you, Madara." Hashirama rubbed his chin.

Madara did not like this though. His eyebrow twitched, immediate anger coursing through his veins. The Uchiha grew incredibly impatient.

"Hashirama." Madara brought an irritated fist to his friend's face, punching him. "I've been plotting to get arrangements for this marriage ready yet things keep popping up to delay it. Find someone else to do it." The Uchiha scowled.

"Hahahahah!" Hashirama broke out into a hearty laughter, rubbing his nose. He knew all too well the impatience Madara was experiencing.

-

Ayumi stood outside of Uchiha Tajima's house. She was in Konoha and had absolutely nothing to do at the moment, so she took it upon herself to speak to Tajima. Ayumi hesitated though, staring at the hanging chimes outside instead, a knot of nervousness growing in the pit of her stomach.

"Come in."

Ayumi heard a muffled voice through the doors moments later. She took another gulp, feeling a lump in her throat. She slid the door and Tajima had been sitting on a low table while reading through some paperwork.

Ayumi bowed respectfully, "I can leave if it's bad timing."
But he waved a palm in the air, instead motioning for her to sit. She curtly sat across from him.

"What brings you here?" Tajima's eyes would meet hers periodically and then fall back to the papers. Ayumi took in his facial features for a moment - and she could see where Madara got his sternness from. "I heard you came back from a dangerous mission."

"Ah." Ayumi clasped her hands and bowed her head towards his direction. He stopped his paperwork and granted the Hyuga his full attention.

"I actually wanted to come and extend my thanks to you, Tajima-sama. If it weren't for Madara looking out for me..."

Tajima's expression remained neutral, his eyes glancing between her hands and then her face. He couldn't help but notice a glimmering red stone on her finger. And that was when it dawned on him. It stayed silent for a moment as the realization sunk in his mind.

"I'm not surprised." Tajima spoke, his voice was hoarse.

But Ayumi didn't quite understand. "Surprised about what?" As her hands fell to the table.