PART 36

Pit pat. Pit pat. Pit pat. Pit pat.

The sounds of their footsteps filled up the silence between the five that had been walking throughout the forest.
Ayumi was ahead in the distance with the two grieving children, trying to console them as she trudged.

"Ayumi." Kaouru's voice croaked, "Who will look after us? Will you take care of us?"
"Ayumi." Kenzo whined, tugging on her pants.

The princess's sad eyes darted between theirs, now ruffling their heads.
"Of course I will. Every one in my clan is my family. I will protect you as if my life depends on it. Okay? You are not alone." Ayumi reassured the two, speaking as firmly yet kindly as she could. "This is sadly how the shinobi world works." She wanted to give them a reality check, but she feared they were still too young to understand, as evident by the confused frowns on their faces.

Meanwhile, Madara and Koniko were behind from a distance observing what had been going on. It remained for the most part quiet between the two, but he was growing curious.

"What is your relationship to her?" Madara questioned Koniko.
"Me..." Koniko looked at the daunting Uchiha, "You can think of me as her right-hand." She smiled smally.

"Right hand? As in her assistant?"
"Pretty much." Koniko looked ahead, watching Ayumi's clan crest from her back, "I have been with her since she was a child. We're basically sisters. She gets so caught up in clan work and training that she forgets a lot of other things. That's where I come in to help."

Madara slowly nodded, looking at Koniko slightly surprised, and then ahead into the distance.

"Oh. Forgive me for my impudence, but I would like to offer my congratulations to your engagement." Koniko bowed.
Madara rose his eyebrows. "So you heard."

Koniko laughed. "I knew it was going to happen the minute you two met each other at that diplomacy meeting with the Senju. You two argue like a married couple."

"It can't be helped. She can be quite the knucklehead." Madara crossed his arms.
"But I guess that's what makes her likable by many!" She looked up to the sky, "Have you proposed to her with a ring yet? She is quite fond of jewellery."

Madara was slightly taken aback, his eyes narrowing. A ring? How and why? What was the significance behind a ring? And if it was a requirement for proposing, how could he have missed such a small thing?

Madara fondly recalled the dainty golden bracelet Ayumi had worn once at a meeting with the Senju. Maybe she would appreciate jewellery, he thought to himself.

"Why would I need such a thing? What does a ring signify?" Madara looked at her.
Koniko brought a hand to her mouth to help stifle her chuckle.

Madara's glare grew darker. "I don't appreciate being mocked."
"I'm sorry, I'm sorry!" She raised her palms defensively in the air, trying to reduce her grin, "But I just thought someone so mighty and tough like you would know. A ring signifies the declaration of eternal love between two souls. I think Ayumi would like it."

Madara felt a lump form in his throat. Eternal love, huh? It was quite befitting, he thought as he watched her from ahead comforting the children. The idea did not pressure him into second guessing one bit. She was a princess, so he'd suppose it was only natural for her to have extravagant taste.
"I see you're considering it." Koniko smiled, "Her favourite stone is red spinel, if that helps."