PART 28

Madara and Ayumi made it to the Hokage's office to check in one last time before they took their leave.
"Madara, does she know the mission details?" Hashirama asked, doe-eyed. It was early in the morning but he seemed full of energy.
"He can fill me in once we arrive." Ayumi crossed her arms.
"You look an awful lot like my friend Madara like that." The Hokage chuckled at her.

Ayumi pouted, uncrossing her arms now. "I guess Madara's mannerisms are rubbing off on me."

"Let's go." Madara turned towards Ayumi.

"Oh, and..." Hashirama got up, his palms spread out on the table, "Congratulations on the engagement." He winked.
Ayumi's hands covered her red cheeks. "Oi! You know?!" She turned to look at Madara now, "He knows!"

"That is because I told him." Madara closed his eyes, the slightest bit of annoyance lingered in his voice.

"Heh. Do your families not know yet?"

Ayumi embarrassingly shook her head.

"I'll take care of that once we return. We're going now." Madara said.

-

Ayumi and Madara were walking calmly throughout the forest, the sounds of their footsteps were both calming and reassuring to them both.
Madara glanced at Ayumi and noticed how her eyes were lit with excitement and awe at the view of the sweeping forestry, vines and plants.

"I hope some day our children will get to appreciate views like this too." Madara blurted.
Ayumi quickly met his eyes, "C-children..." She grew shy of the topic.

Madara looked at her with brows raised. "You don't want?"
She watched her walking feet and remained silent.

"I just fear for their futures." She spoke lowly.
Madara almost regretted asking her that question, her excitement wiped away from her face as the topic weighed heavily on her shoulders. Madara had understood what she meant though - why bring more children into a cycle of hell?

"Times should be different now." Madara spoke, "And besides..." He looked down at her with a small smile, "Their parents will protect them. We are not exactly the easiest people to defeat."

Ayumi grinned childishly, the aura from before now back on her face. Madara almost chuckled at how quick she was to wear her emotions in front of him, but he took it as a compliment from her - a sign of trust.

Madara always knows what to say! She quietly thought to herself.
"You're right about that! Well if that's the case, let's have... 10 children." She rubbed her chin while looking at the sky. "No, 12!"

Madara froze in his tracks, sweat dripping now. She couldn't be serious, could she?

  She couldn't be serious, could she?

Madara itched his cheek. "That's quite the leap, don't you think?"

"Hahah!" Ayumi punched his arm playfully, "I'm just getting a kick out of ya. I think one is enough."