18. Thunder & Lightning

"Hey Shadow," Jungkook greeted her when she walked into their hideout

Breezing past Hoseok who was immersed in some code encryption on the computers, she went to join Jungkook on the sofa.

"Oh, Jiah, hey!" Hoseok finally said when he saw her and she winced at her name, wanting to tell him straight away not to call her that, but she decided against it, flopping down next to Jungkook.

"I'm impressed," he smiled smugly.

"Of what? You've seen me wearing nicer clothes than this before," she thought he was talking about her attire, of course. The gang had a special stash of office clothes that Jiah had been using to wear to work, but the clothes that she would wear on operations in which she was undercover at a gala per se, were much more revealing and much sexier than this pencil skirt and white blouse.

"I'm impressed you didn't tell Hoseok off for calling you by your name, dumbass."

"Right," she had rested her head in his lap and was feeling her eyes start to close.

Jungkook was more surprised at the fact that she seemed tired already and it was only eight in the evening, as opposed to their skinship. It wasn't like they weren't close enough to be able to touch each other in this way - one night six years ago when they were intoxicated on the empty promises of their youth, they did a lot more than just touching each other, breaking the awkward barrier they once had. They vowed to never again talk about that night, but although it was possibly one of the biggest mistakes the pair had faced, it built a special bond between the two that could never be broken.

"I thought we could go grab a drink tonight," Jungkook sighed, looking down at his best friend, "I guess not."

"Jungkook, you try working as the secretary of the country's biggest conglomerate's CEO's, and then I'll let you off for your sass," she said with her eyes closed, making Jungkook shake his head.

"I'll never let you off for your sass," he muttered under his breath and looked over to Hoseok, "Have you figured out what to do about Diamond?"

Jiah then perked up, sitting again and shooting a questioning glance at Hoseok.

"What do you mean?"

"He's going to find out, Shadow," he sighed, "You'd think we could cover our tracks better than that."

"I don't really know, the company has a steel firewall I've been trying to hack into the bank accounts all day today and can't seem to edit it. It's crazy, I've never not been able to hack into anything before."

"Why would you need to edit it?" Jiah asked cautiously. Why was she so worried about the company?

Jungkook seemed to be wondering the same thing because he spoke up.

"Are you trying to protect the other side, Shadow?"

"Huh? No, why would I-"

"You do know, you're not working for them, Shadow, not for real anyway. Do we need to keep reminding you of that?"