00. Reminiscent Promises

10 years ago

10 years ago

Jimin sat in his regular seat - the back of the class - with his nose stuffed in a book. Recently, he'd decided to add to his bookshelf of classics and was reading through George Orwell's 1984.

The door flung open then, making him almost drop the book in his hands, jolting up in his seat. Eyes drifting to the door, he watched those who had caused the sound walk into the classroom.

Rolling his eyes, he slouched further in his seat. It was always them.

The group of six boys entered, taking their spots on the row just in front of Jimin, a few leaning back in their seat with their feet kicked up on the desk, others just plainly sitting on the desks instead, resting their shoes on the chair.

Jimin wasn't really on the best terms with any of them - as if they ever talked at all. However, one of the very few encounters he'd had with that crowd was enough to form a strong disliking against them.

Shuddering, he remembered the time they'd moved all his belongings to a different bed at camp that past year. All without his permission or notice.

With a quick glance at the clock, he realised class was soon to start, and so stood up to pop his book into his mini locker at the tail of the room.

Sitting back down in his seat, he noticed that the person sitting at the desk in front of him (yes, sitting on top of the counter) was watching him. Raising his gaze, they met, and he held him there for a second.

He could have sworn he saw him smile down at him before hopping off the table and sitting in the chair.

But he wouldn't have smiled at me. He and his friends loved to make me the outcast.

"Who's turn is it to clean the classroom today?" the teacher called when the class was over, watching the room.

"Jimin's!" the student next to the roster announced, and the teacher nodded.

"Is there someone you'd like to help you?" she asked, and for a brief moment, Jimin considered it. Scanning over the heads in front of him, he shook his head. They'd hate me.

He heard someone in the row before him stifle a laugh, and like dominoes, the whole line started laughing. Apart from one person.

"Kim Taehyung!" the teacher scolded, annoyed at the disruption of silence, "That's it, you're staying back and helping Jimin clean the room."

Jimin raised an eyebrow at her - but he wasn't the one who laughed?

He didn't seem to mind though, nodding at the teacher before throwing a glare over his shoulder at his friends.

Soon, the class filed out, and it was just the two boys left in the room.

"You can go, I'm fine on my own," Jimin told him as he walked to the corner where the cleaning supplies were.