49. Her Forever Love

"Why are you so giddy?" Jiah asked, walking into the hospital cafeteria, sitting across from Jungkook

"Why are you so giddy?" Jiah asked, walking into the hospital cafeteria, sitting across from Jungkook. He had been staring at the water bottle on the table, tracing the lines around it with the most idiotic smile plastered across his face. 

Cheeks burning with the dust of Mars and eyes glowing with a brightness she had never seen before, Jungkook handed Jiah the water bottle.

"Didn't you say you were thirsty?"

"Yeah," nodding, she continued to stare at him with a bewildered expression on her face, "You still haven't answered my question."

"I might tell him," Jungkook's eyes danced from the table and met her gaze, "I might tell Jimin."

"What?" she narrowed her eyes, trying not to grin at her best friend's words, "What are you going to tell him?"

"Are you really going to make me say it out loud?"

"Yeah," she smirked a little, "What was it again?"

"You know what I mean, I'm not saying it," he huffed, getting up from his seat and she jumped up as well.

"Where are you going?" a small laugh escaped her lips, "Wait for me!"

Crossing his arms over his chest, he stopped until she caught up. "I don't know why I put up with you."

"So when?"

"When what?"

"When are you going to tell him?"

He sighed as they reached the elevator, ready to go back to Taehyung's room on the highest floor, "When all this is over."

"What?"

"When we're done with whatever it is we're doing, and we can finally be free from this stupid life. The moment we stop what Kkangpae is doing then I'll tell him, when I'm free of these fucking chains."

Jiah was silent then, the words he spoke hanging in the air before them, staring at them, haunting them.

"Will that time ever come?" she whispered, gaze falling to the floor.

The war raging in her head constantly wasn't something she had learnt to tolerate, nor did she think she could ever come to terms with it.

She had been living all her life holding her breath, and while she had never killed anyone, she might as well have done so.

She's shot people, purposefully missing. She's fought people until they were bloodied and hospitalised for weeks. She's been part of countless drug deals as if they were nothing.

Her life was riddled with regret and guilt.

Why did Taehyung love her the way he did? Why did she feel a deep cosmic pull toward him from the day they met?