44. What Is Behind Him

Taehyung sat on Jimin's couch, watching as he walked around the kitchen, preparing a meal for the both of them

"Uhm," he coughed, "So are you going to tell me what happened? How you and Jungkook spent the night together?"

"Why is it such a big deal?" Jimin shrugged, "We spend the night together, heaps."

"Yeah but we're talking about Jungkook here."

"Tae-" Jimin sighed, "There's something weird with me, you know? Like I can always tell when someone else is hurting. When someone is in pain, I can always see it in their eyes, have you noticed?"

"Well," he shrugged, "Yeah, I guess? It's who you are, Jimin; you're just someone who has everyone's heart in your own. Everyone's hurt; everyone's pain is yours too. I hate it, and I hate that you can't change that, but I know I promised myself that I would never let you make a stupid decision because of it. And as long as I keep that promise, I think we're good."

He shook his head as a reply, looking down to his hands.

"Jungkook had this look in his eyes," he continued, "Like he was trying to grieve but had no way to, and I wanted to be the one who helped him. I don't know why I'm like this."

Taehyung pursed his lips, "Well, did you guys talk?"

"Yeah," Jimin nodded, "Poor guy went through a lot and had no idea how to let it go," they both frowned; they knew what that was like, "But I'm glad that weird intuition in me was bugging me to bug him, or else he would still be holding onto the grief, and I don't know how much more that would hurt."

"Okay then," Taehyung gave him a soft smile with a pat on his back, "As long as everything is okay."

"I think it was fate that I went to that restaurant that day, Tae. I always say if I can make someone's pain of 100-"

Taehyung rolled his eyes, "decrease to even just 99, you've done your job," they finished together and grinned at each other.

Jimin continued, "I think I did that for him, he seemed so much lighter when we left off. The only reason we were there sitting on the grass that whole night talking was because that damn grief, that stupid sadness was lodged in his eyes like some gunk or something. But in the morning, it was gone, his eyes were... they were brighter. And that's all I wanted."

Taehyung scanned his face. The sparkle in his eyes not only lit them up and caused the small flakes of gold to dance around in his irises, but it spread to his cheeks, down his neck and through his whole body. It was as if comets were flying through his veins; he was glowing.

"Jimin you're going to be in so much trouble one day," Taehyung found himself muttering, shaking his head.

His smiling friend turned to him, tilting his head, "What do you mean?"

"Your heart, you care way too much about every single person around you... it's going to get you in trouble."

"If I don't care, Taehyung, who will?"

Suddenly, he was reminded of the day his parents passed. He was overwhelmed with so many emotions that he couldn't make sense of back then. 

Regret, shame, sadness, disappointment, loneliness, all the things he would have never expected. His parents were unloving; they couldn't care less about anything Taehyung had done.

But there he was, mourning and mourning over their deaths as if he loved them.

He didn't love them.

How could he love people who would have never returned it in the slightest?

However, Jimin was there to take all the pieces that were jumbled up in Taehyung's mind and form the jigsaw that he couldn't have done himself.

Jimin showed him that he was able to love his parents even when he didn't know it. Jimin showed Taehyung that he was not weak or dumb for feeling the way he felt. Jimin showed Taehyung that he was there, and he would always be there for him.

Jimin was Taehyung's constants.

Jimin showed Taehyung that love was not something that only the perfect romances would have.

Now and then they'd both jokingly refer to each other as their soulmate. It was a prank Jimin had played on him once when the girl Taehyung was with would call him that.

After that, however, it stuck. And it made them both realise all the more that they really were soulmates.

"I can't have my soulmate putting his life on the line for other people, you know?"

"You said you'd make sure that won't happen," Jimin shrugged, a grin breaking on his face as he punched his friend's shoulder, "We're together for life, soulmate."

He snorted, crossing his arms over his chest, "I wish you'd fight for yourself for one, Jimin."

And he was right. Taehyung would often think from time to time about how he was the only person who was there for Jimin. With that, in times where Taehyung couldn't fight Jimin's battles, no one was there to do so.

Not because Jimin was weak, but because Jimin always thought it was in his best interest to admit defeat. Especially when feelings get involved. Even when Jimin was hurt in the process.

Despite that, he would never think twice to throw his own heart in the field when Taehyung was being hurt.

That was the thing with Jimin; he fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him. 

 A short chapter

More like a tribute to our favourite soulmates

Might be a little more, too :)

How are you all? xx