26. Eyes Like Smoke

Taehyung slowly got off the vehicle, stopping next to Jiah

Taehyung slowly got off the vehicle, stopping next to Jiah. Confusion and worry filled him when he approached her, wondering why she froze suddenly before.

He had crossed the finish line and almost reached her when she swung her leg over the door and stepped out too.

Their eyes met, and instantly it was as if they were bare. As if the bandana covering their faces, the helmets over their heads and the clothes they wore fell at their feet. When brown met silver, everything else ceased to exist.

She had the urge to bring her hands up and cover; she felt so naked, so vulnerable when he was looking at her like that.

"Stop that," she muttered under her breath without thinking. When she realised, however, she prayed that he didn't hear her.

"Stop what?" He whispered, taking a step forward.

Her chest hurt so much, and she hated it. After discovering the intrinsic feeling she had, wanting all the demons of her past to stop taunting her for everything she had done, she really didn't need his clear, zinc eyes to see right through all of those insecurities she had tried so hard to hide. But that was precisely what it felt like he was doing.

"Looking at me like that," she whispered again, and now he was standing so close their shoes were touching. Of course, however, that wasn't where she was looking.

His damn eyes were ones that held you in the longest gaze, no matter what you wanted.

"Like what?"

"Like you want to kiss me," her words were blunt, but she wasn't the type to beat around the bush.

"What if I d-" she knew what he was about to say and luckily for her, his phone rang, silencing him.

Licking his lips, he tore his eyes from Jiah's reluctantly, sighing when he read the caller ID.

"What?" His voice was annoyed when he answered.

"When were you planning on coming to the meeting?" Jimin's voice filled the line, and Taehyung checked his watch.

"Right, shit, I'm on my way Jimin, can you tell them I'll be there in twenty minutes."

"Tae," Jimin hissed, "I know you're tired, I know you're conflicted but remember we promised each other we would never let anything come before work, not even women."

"I know Jimin; I'll be there in twenty, I'm really sorry."

When he hung up, he looked up at Jiah before clearing his throat, "We need to get back."

The ride there was silent, both of them trying to figure out what exactly had just happened.

It was an awkward silence, an unnerving silence, one where the pair just wanted to jump out of the window and run into the blaring traffic just to save themselves from the torture.