30. Cheer Up

Jungkook and Jiah were lying on the grass in the backyard of her house

Jungkook and Jiah were lying on the grass in the backyard of her house. Ji Young had gone to sleep, so it was just the two of them left in the garden. The pair had decided to make it a rule; to spend the dead of nights like this so they could catch up with their best friend.

Today they were lying there in silence, however, Jiah's head resting on Jungkook's chest as he traced the stars with his finger.

"What do you think he's doing?" he asked.

"Probably making whoever else up there laugh," she replied dreamily.

"I miss him so much, Shadow," Jungkook voice became stifled, and Jiah nodded.

"I miss him too, Jungkook," they continued to stare into the night sky as if any moment his face would dissolve into view, and he'd say 'Hey guys!'.

"Do you know what the last thing I said to him was?"

"What?"

"Fuck off," he muttered under his breath.

"What?" she asked again, turning around and looking up at him.

"Well, the idiot said 'Don't forget to smile!' when I was about to hang up, I just said it on instinct."

"Of course you did."

"He was going on and on about how we only live once; I didn't need to hear that from him, I already know all that stuff."

"What else did he say?" She asked, a soft smile playing on her lips, it was nice to remember him like this with Jungkook.

"Well after that, he went 'At least buy me dinner first', literally the oldest joke in the book."

"That's true, he needed to get a new joke book," she nodded with him, "But I guess that's what made him special."

"Something is bothering me, though," Jungkook started, "He said he needed to tell us something urgently."

"Oh, that's right, I wonder what it was," Jiah sat up, "Hey, did we ever find his phone after he died?'

"No," Jungkook sighed, "Those assholes probably took it."

"I think we'll have to go through his computer, Jungkook. He's gotta have something in there that we need, and possibly whatever that was got him killed."

--

"You're going back to work today?" Jungkook asked in the morning through Jiah's door as she was changing.

"Yeah," she replied, pulling her top over her head before opening the door.

"Are you sure you'll be okay? It's only been a week since... since it happened and you haven't been okay at all this week."

"I'll be okay, Jungkook," she forced a smile for her best friend, "It's been a week, I've got so much to catch up on at work."

"I knew it!" he jumped up and ran around the counter, taking Jiah by the shoulders, "It's Diamond, isn't it! He's making you go in even when you're not ready! I swear to God, I'm gonna-"