Chapter 9

“Are we there yet?” I ask for the millionth time. “Nope” Luke says as he keeps driving in his black Holden cruise. As I groan out loud as I hear Luke chuckle. “What?” I asked as I turned in my seat, trying to look through the black blind fold to look at him. “Nothing.” “No what is it? You can tell me.” I hear Luke trying to contain is chuckles. “I never thought I’d have to blind fold my date... ever” I blushed at him and looked down. He had to blind fold me because he knew I wouldn’t shut my eyes the whole ride to this secret date thing. STOP BLUSHING YOU IDIOT, I thought. So I decided to change the subject. “So when did you get this car?” I ask Luke after a few seconds of silence. “Not too long ago. Probably a few months ago when I managed to win pokies over 20 times in an hour every day at the pub.” “You play pokies?” I asked surprised. “Not anymore. I did awhile ago because I was poor.”

I put my head against the window for awhile, just thinking about how weird life is. You’re born and then you die, just like that. No matter what age you are or what gender you are or what health issues you have. Is Mother Nature our enemy or what?

“Hope we’re here” I sit up straight and wait for Luke to come to my side and guide me out of the car. “Hold onto my arms” I did what I was told and got out the car carefully. “Can I take this blind fold off yet Luke?” I ask as Luke locks the car and starts to walk away from the car and guide me to walk straight. Which is impossible for me no matter what. “Just a bit longer” he says as he holds my hand.

We walked for about 5 minutes until I heard Luke stop walking. He took off my blind fold and I looked in awe. In front of me were a rug and some food and drinks with decorations everywhere. I turned to Luke and hugged him.

“Thank you Luke, this is the best first date ever.”“I hoped you would like it” Luke said as he hugged me and kissed my forehead. “I love it” I say as I look at all the decorations around the trees and the colourful lights.

And at that moment there, I felt like I was a normal teenager.