Chapter 3

As I lie awake that night, I go over all the things Asher could've done to get wings as dark as night.

Only things truly terrible cause your wings to darken, things like cursing someone doesn't do much of anything.

Which means he had to have done something horrific- like murder, burglary, rape....

I sit up quickly, yanking myself out of my thoughts.

That's enough. I'm never going to sleep thinking things like this, I say to myself.

But I wasn't expecting a voice to answer.

'If you want to know, just ask him.'

I jump back, cowering in my blanket. Who said that? Angels weren't supposed to get telepathic responses, unless from a Soulmate.

And surely I haven't found my Soulmate? I'd remember, wouldn't I?

I don't get another response. It might've just been my subconscious.... right? I shake my head, grabbing my phone off the nightstand and switching on soothing music.

I wake up the next morning feeling far less than well-rested. Not to mention the nerves for school, seeing as Asher is my partner for the Chemistry project...

I groan, rubbing my eyes.

Could this day get any worse?

Then that voice again, 'Yes, you could have an abusive family.'

I freeze. Who is this?

'Your soulmate, apparently.'

I frown. Obviously. Name? I scrunch my brow when I receive no response. You're really gonna leave me on read, telepathically?!

I swear I hear a faint chuckle, but still, no response. I groan again, choosing to ignore the voice and get ready for school.

I throw on a floral, short dress with white flats, and put my hair in a messy, high ponytail.

I then shove my books in my book bag, grab the blank poster board I bought after school yesterday, and head downstairs.

"Good morning, Mama, Daddy," I chirp, grabbing a bagel and sitting at the table.

My dad doesn't respond, his head buried in a newspaper. My mom flashes me a smile.

"How'd you sleep, Cienna?" My mother asks.

I shrug. "Alright."

After a few moments, my mother picks up the car keys and motions for me to join her.

At the school, I pause at the steps. Elaine steps in beside me.

"Everything alright?" She asks.

I crinkle my brow. "It's just this project thing, I don't do well with... groups," I mutter.

"Who's your partner?" I nudges my shoulder, wiggling her eyebrows like a kindergartener.

"Asher fudging Downs," I hiss.

Her eyes go wide. "Woah, there. That's the closest I've ever heard you get to an actual cuss word! Also, Asher?! As in... the Asher? The new kid? Black wi-"

"Yes, now hush, before someone hears you," I cut her off. She clamps her mouth shut.

"You poor, poor, tortured soul."

I shoot her a look. "Oh, stop it." I pause, should I tell her about the voice? "Elaine, there's something else..." I let my voice trail.

"What is it..?" She asks, hesitantly, as if unsure what could possibly be worse than my lab partner being Asher Downs.

"I heard a voice last night. As in... telepathically," I whisper. She clamps a hand to her mouth.

"Like... your Soulmate?" She says in a hushed voice, it's a wonder I can even hear her. I nod, grimly. "Oh, Enna... Do you have any idea who it is?"

I shake my head. "I didn't recognize the voice. But.. in order for me to hear them, I should've met them, right?"

She shrugs. "All it takes is contact lasting 45 seconds. Doesn't matter what form of contact."

My eyes widen. "Asher and I stared at each other yesterday... could that be it?"

She frowns. "I doubt eye contact counts, Enna. I say, don't worry about it. If they wanted you to know who they were, they would've told you. Or maybe they'll approach you. Either way, who cares? Focus on school, Nerd."

She motions for us to go into the school. We've barely made it inside before the bell rings.

"Now look what you've done! You made me miss breakfast!" She hollers.

I chuckle, leading her by the shoulders to US History.

I pause when I see Asher sitting in the very back row, directly behind where Elaine and I normally sit.

She doesn't seem to care though, she flops down, tossing her bag to the floor, and I reluctantly follow.