Chapter 36

I sit with Zachariel in the field , watching the dead zone, just as we had done the first night.

"Cienna, what I was trying to say earlier... is I know how to stop it. The cancer." I glance up at him.

"You can stop it?" I say, laughing.

He watches me, all humour gone. "Yes. When someone learns the truth, they soak up the cancer from the earth, leaving the earth to thrive." I frown.

"But then we'd die..."

"But our children won't. They will live in a healthy world. One not clouded with a lie."

My eyes widen. True... the moment my hair began fading black, the line had taken a step back. And it undoubtedly would do it again, in just a few days, when my parents' hair do the same.

I kiss him on the cheek, whispering, "You're a fucking genius." I jump up. "I know what we have to do!" I exclaim. "School field trip," I smile wickedly.

He chuckles. "I love the sound of that."

He twirls me through the air. "We're going to save humanity." I giggle.

"They don't deserve to be saved."

He laughs, setting me down, and laying in the grass. "No. No they don't... but no way in hell I'm dying to a cancer God placed here to wipe us out."

I nod. "He can't win. And he can't get away with this."

So, over the next hour, Zachariel and I brainstorm different ways of getting our entire school to this very meadow. And that's when I find the perfect solution.

Prepare to have your eyes opened to the truth.