Chapter 39

Walking into the school has never been this... exhilarating.

I walk in to find a sea of black wings. There are still a few 'whities' left, but not for long.

About a week later, Zachariel visit the field of the dead zone. By now, my hair is jet black, my eyes a piercing green to match Zachariel's.

When we get there, we aren't alone. Many black-winged people roam the area, checking the progress. There are a few 'whities', learning the truth.

The dead zone has retreated at least a mile by now. I can't help the smile spreading across my face.

What a perfect way to graduate.

Graduation. In 2 months... I'm graduating high school. I lean against Zachariel. "We shouldn't come here until graduation.... to see how much progress we've made."

Zachariel kisses my head.

I look up at him. "You started this, you know. You showed me the truth. You saved us."

He chuckles. "No, Cienna. I never would have showed the entire school like you did. The truth would've been lost between us. It was you, it was all you."

I laugh shaking my head. "We're arguing over who started this... why don't we just enjoy the fact that this is happening? We're free, Zachariel. We're finally free. All of us."

Zach stares at me. "You're beautiful," he whispers.

I smile, getting on my tippy-toes to kiss him. "I honestly never imagined we'd get this far."

Zachariel looks back out towards the dead zone. "I know... it's crazy how much a hard-headed Angel with strong feelings of betrayal can accomplish."

I scrunch my eyebrows, shoving him playfully. "Or an emo boy with a bad past."

He chuckles. "Typical cliche, isn't it?"

I laugh. "God's last 'fuck you'."

"He always has to have he final say," he says, laughing. We continue laughing and joking, watching the people around us.