Chapter 28

We sit in the grass a few feet from the invisible line. I watch his wings, the way they ripple when they move. They're beautiful. And they're identical to mine.

Zachariel watches me. "What are you thinking of, My Angel?"

I frown. "Why do you call me that?"

"Because you're as beautiful as an Angel. How are you doing with all this?"

I lean against him, resting my head on his shoulder. "I think your wings are beautiful- I always have," I whisper, still not answering his question.

He goes quiet for a moment. "Really?"

I smile, shutting my eyes. "Mhm," I say as I take a deep breath, smelling him. He smells like vanilla and cedar wood.

"Are you tired?" He asks.

I hum in response. The truth is, I wasn't tired, but I could sit here, like this, all day.

He lays down, motioning for me to do the same- and I happily oblige. He wraps an arm around my waist, pulling me closer, and I can't help the sigh that escapes my lips.

He gently plays with my hair, which, I'll admit, lulls me to sleep.

After a few moments, I fall into a deep sleep, comforted by his arms. Unfortunately, though, I have a horrible nightmare.

The world is eaten alive by that cancer, Elaine, my mom, my dad, Zachariel- everyone, devoured by it. I jump awake, panting heavily.

"Shhh, you're alright, darling," he murmurs. "I had nightmares too, but it'll be okay, I promise. I'm here."

I lay beside him, resting my head on his chest. "Did you see it? My nightmare?"

He nods.

I listen to his heartbeat for a moment. "I don't want to lose you," I murmur. His heart rate picks up slightly.

"You won't." He kisses the top of my head, playing with my hair once more. And, once again, I drift off to sleep. This time, dreamless.