Chapter 4

We don't speak- or make contact at all, actually. We simply coexist.

I have a difficult time focusing on my work, and I swear I can feel him watching me.

I nervously tap my pencil on the desk, eyeing the clock, willing the next two minutes to go by faster so I can get out of here.

As soon as the bell rings, I bolt, tossing some lame excuse about beating the crowd to Calculus so I can speak to the teacher, over my shoulder at Elaine.

I race down the halls until I make it to the safety of Calculus. Who knew I'd be so happy to be in this classroom?

Calculus drags on forever.

Due to my poor sleep last night, I'm not sure I'll make it the last ten minutes of class.

"Alright, for the last ten minutes, we're going to be doing a study hall so that you can get caught up on your work for the week, as well as study for tomorrow's test."

I nearly cry in relief. Thank God.

I use my last few minutes to study, before the bell rings and lunch begins.

Elaine sits beside me, Avalon joining us today, on Elaine's other side.

"So, that new guy, huh? Hot. Bad boy type. Totally digging it," Avalon says, wiggling her eyebrows in the most ridiculous way.

Avalon is a Nephalem like Elaine- but her wings are tinted grey, because among her hobbies, are shoplifting and getting high every Saturday.

I try to tune her out, but something about the way she's talking about Asher is pissing me off.

"His name is Asher, not new kid. And he's not some object," I growl. Elaine flinches.

"Chill, Enna, she's kidding."

I roll my eyes. "No, she's not. She's objectifying him because of wing colour. It's like the racism thing from 600 BF (before fall), all over again!"

Elaine eyes me concernedly. "Enna, are you okay? What's up with you?"

I sigh and rest my head in my hands. She's right, I'm getting way too worked up over this.

"I just... I think it's really messed up people are treating him like that when they don't know what he did..."

Avalon looks at her lunch. "You're totally right, Cienna. I'm sorry."'

I frown, not entirely sure if she was being sincere or not.

I sigh, pushing my uneaten lunch forward, no longer finding the energy to eat. "Great," I mutter, "I have Chemistry next..."

Elaine grabs my hand in mock concern. "It'll be okay, Enna, you'll get through this."

I shove her off, rolling my eyes and chuckling.

I really hope so...