Chapter 34

I barely sleep that night, mostly because Zachariel scolds me most of the night, but also because I'm terrified of what my parents will say.

My mother is ready to send me to hell- Zachariel not far behind. But my father seems to want to believe me.

I sigh and get up, walking towards my closet. This could either go horribly wrong, or horrible right.

I put on my long sleeved, lace shirt, white skirt, and knee high boots.

I grab my purse and quietly descend the stairs. My mother doesn't greet me when I make it to the kitchen. I remain quiet, taking an apple from the table. My father appears a moment later, keys in hand.

"Ready?"

My mother doesn't respond, simply grabs her purse, and heads outside.

My father sends me a wary smile, and I try to return it. Are you there already?

'Yes... I'm fucking nervous, Cienna. Why'd you have to tell them?' I bite my cheek because of the nerves, and irritation.

I get it, I fucked up.

He sighs. 'I'm sorry... I'm just on edge.'

I climb in the car behind the passenger seat, and wait patiently as my father takes us to the field. It doesn't take long, maybe 15 minutes.

My father stops the car, a frown on his face. "If this is some kind of joke..." he says, looking back at me.

I glare at him. "I wouldn't joke about this." Then, I open my car door, and meet Zachariel in the field of grass. I take his hand, terrified of what their reaction will be.

Before my parents approach us, Zach gasps quietly.

He holds a piece of my hair so I can see. "Cienna... your hair..." it's black. Not completely, but the ends are tinted black. I bite back the fear.

My mother stares at our interlocked hands, my father motioning for us to show them.

I hold my breath as we begin to walk towards the dead zone.