Chapter 24

I remain seated on the park bench, thinking over everything. After a few minutes, I find my car and head home.

I open up my laptop and google 'Prayers Answered'.

A few results appear about how people on waiting lists for transplants finally got them, how a doctor managed to wake someone up from a company with experimental surgery, and many other things.

I google 'miracle discovery'.

There are a few results where couples find animals who were previously abused, and managed to nurse them to health.

But those aren't miracles. Those are good things happening to good people.

Where are the real miracles? Where's God clearing a patient's cancer? Where's God letting a homeless man win the lottery?

I open my phone up to my conversation with Zachariel, and dial his number.

"Hello?" He asks, his deep voice startles me.

"Hi." I can hear the question running through his head before he says it.

"Why did you call, Cienna?"

I smile. "I... I want to know the truth."

"No you don't." He mutters.

I narrow my eyes. "Yes. I. Do. I googled a few things- God isn't here, is he? All those things you said before... they were true, weren't they?"

He pauses. "Yes, they were."

I gasp, as if getting punched in the gut. I don't know this feeling. "What's happening?"

He sighs. "Your wings just got darker."

Tears form in my eyes. "No... no, they couldn't have. I didn't do anything wrong!" I glance behind me to see my wings have gone from a brilliant white, to a light gray.

I collapse.

"You stopped believing the lie, Cienna."

Tears fall, and my mother runs in. "Cienna? What was that so- No. What did you do?" She whispers.

I wipe the tears from my eyes and shake my head. "I don't know..." I set the phone down on the floor, I know he's still on the other line. I can feel his guilt.

"Oh, baby..." my mom rushes over, encasing me in her arms.

Once she leaves, I wipe my tears away, my face hardening. I pick up my phone.

"I want you to show me the truth. I want to know."

"Okay. Friday night. I'll text the location." I hang up the phone and slam my laptop shut. Everything I've ever known is a lie. And this just proved it.

My name is Cienna Malak, and I've never sinned. Until now.