Chapter 23

"And what's the truth?" I ask, my voice barely a whisper.

"Cienna, you are pure. You are innocent. I don't want to be the guy to ruin that. The moment I tell you- or show you, your wings will change too. Just like mine did."

I frown. "So- you didn't actually do anything wrong? Like... like murder people?"

He laughs hysterically. His smile is mesmerizing, his laugh like a song.

"No, Cienna. I didn't do anything bad... all I did was uncover the truth."

I turn towards him. "The truth about what?"

He sighs. "You're persistent," he says with a smile. I shrug, returning his smile. His face hardens. "The truth about the 'Lord above'." His voice drips with distaste.

I don't say anything, I just watch as he thinks over this 'truth'. A part of me wants to know it, but the other part is terrified of what it might be.

"Don't worry about it, My Angel. I don't want to ruin you."

I blush at the nickname, but don't respond.

I'm dying to know this truth. What could he possibly have to say? Or to show me? What could be so bad, that his wings have turned as black as the open universe?

He gets up from the bench. "I have to go, Cienna... but I'd like to see you again sometime. Is that okay?"

I don't want him to go just yet. There's so much I want to know. Nevertheless, I smile and nod.

"Of course Zachariel. Anytime you'd like."

He grabs my hand and kisses the back of it. "Until next time."

I roll my eyes and smile. "Goodbye, Zachariel."