Chapter 35

It's just as beautiful as last time- although it appears that the line has retreated slightly.

"What....?" I ask Zachariel. I point towards the tree I had disintegrated when it was just ash, now fully grown, and perfectly alive.

However, two steps further, and the ground is blackened, eaten away by this cancer.

My mother gasps.

"What is this place?" Father whispers.

I turn to him. "This is where the Earth was eaten away by its own cancer. A cancer placed here by God himself."

'Your hair...' Zachariel starts, 'It started turning black at the same time the line retreated...' I frown, not connecting the dots, but too busy trying to explain to my parents, to care.

My father shakes his head, falling to the blackened ground.

He picks up a handful of the ashy substance we once called grass, and let's it sift through his hand.

"But... he wouldn't leave us... would he?" He looks up at me with haunted eyes.

I sigh. "He sent us here to die alongside them, Dad..." my mother weeps quietly behind her. A few moments later, their wings, too, have completely transformed from white, to solid black. "Zachariel showed me. He showed me the truth. He opened my eyes." I take his hand and beam at him.

He smiles down at me. 'You're beautiful.'

I grin.

But my parents aren't listening, too busy watching the dead world around them. Analyzing every twig, branch, and grain of sand. They notice the still air, and yet how the trees far in the distance blow away...

My father looks at me, his eyes cold. "So, it's true. We really are alone." My mother says nothing, but her eyes mimic his.

Stone cold, filled with truth.