Chapter 25

Thursday morning, I don't really care what I wear- or what I look like. I throw on a red T-shirt, and my black skinny jeans.

Everyone knew me for my white wings, but they're not white anymore. So I'll probably need my earphones to tune everyone, and their questions, out.

I coat my lips in bright red, line my eyes with black, apply mascara, and shove my things in my bag.

I put my red and black converse on and head downstairs.

My mom had a meeting this morning, so she left earlier, and my dad is in his room, sick.

I throw my stuff in my car and drive to school.

Elaine meets me at the steps, the look on her face is priceless. "Enna...?"

I look at her innocently. "What?"

She looks at me warily. "What... happened?" I give her the 'I have no idea what you're talking about' Look. "Your wings, your outfit, your attitude.... what's going on with you."

I shrug. "I learned the truth."

I almost laugh at the history behind that phrase. The truth. The horrific, sad, but true, truth.

The truth that we are, in fact, alone in the world. The truth that we have no God, no Heaven, and no hope. The truth that we, as a species, are doomed for hell.

'How are you doing, Cienna?'

Zachariel... I'm alright- I'm great, actually. Knowing that I can say, and do, whatever I want and not have to deal with the consequences is.... freeing.

He chuckles. 'It is, isn't it?'

I smile and throw my bag on the floor, putting my feet up on the desk. I lean my head back and close my eyes, ready for a great nap.

Because really, what's the point in learning when I'm doomed anyway?