part twenty seven

Lydia White

The boys have been gone all day.

Harry told me they had some stuff to organize and that they had to go meet some people. I knew it had something to do with his gang, but I didn't pry him for any details because I wasn't sure if I wanted to know.

He was very hesitant to leave me here alone...but I assured him I'd be fine.

The house was very secluded...you wouldn't be able to see it unless you drove into the woods. I haven't been home alone since the last break in...but I felt safe here.

Harry and I enjoyed the sunrise together this morning, and ended up sitting and reading for another hour after that. It was nice to be able to feel okay around him again.

I was still getting used to everything. I didn't agree with the gang lifestyle he lived at all...but I was here for Harry himself, not a gang leader.

It was around 4:30 in the afternoon. I had spent most of the day in the backyard, reading Harry's book.

I was roughly halfway through the book now. It was a beautiful story...and it seemed odd that it was Harry's favorite. I just couldn't see him liking it, but then again...there was lots that I didn't know about him.

I had also spent some of my time alone cleaning the house. It was pretty tidy to begin with, but I just swept and wiped the counters to keep my self busy.

Being alone with my thoughts for the day caused me to reflect on a lot, which was something I needed to do. I had been totally oblivious to what was going on around me before Harry.

My coworker, someone who I considered a friend, was apart of Harry's rival gang.

So was my own brother...and he was killed because of it.

I couldn't help but feel a little guilty, because I wasn't grieving Luke's death. But I didn't really feel anything towards it.

I had broken down when I first heard he was dead, but it was because I had learned so much more on top of that and it was just overwhelming.

But now, it was like I was almost forcing myself to be sad over his passing...but I just wasn't.

We didn't have the greatest relationship. We weren't really that close growing up, and he was kind of a loner. He would lock himself in his room for hours.

So, when he left...it wasn't really that much of a change. It was more like there was just one less person in the house.

The thing that I was most upset about was the fact that I was so oblivious to it all. I felt stupid.

I felt my phone buzz in my back pocket as I sat on the back porch steps. I fished for the device and held it out in front of me.

"Are you coming into work tonight?" The text read. It was from Wendy.

I didn't know how to answer. I honestly hadn't thought about working since I found everything out. I had sort of ghosted myself from the outside world...from everyone.

Eliza was the only one I reached out too. She had texted me a few times asking if I was alright or asking me what I was up to.

I obviously didn't tell her about my situation. She still thinks I'm back at my apartment.

I let out a sigh before standing up and walking back into the house. I set my phone and Harry's book on the counter in the kitchen and opened the fridge to find something to eat.