part thirty eight

Harry Styles

"Lou, I'm not coming in to work today." I say into the phone as I move around the kitchen, making breakfast.

"Why not?" Louis questions from the other side of the call.

"I have some stuff to deal with." I excuse.

The real reason I wasn't going into work was because Lydia had gotten sick. She woke up this morning with a sore throat and an insane cough. I don't know where it came from, but I wasn't about to leave her alone like this.

"Okay, I'll tell Zayn to leave your mail in your office." Louis says.

"Thanks." I reply, then hang up.

Lydia was up in the bathroom, trying to relax in a warm bath, while I was down in the kitchen making her a smoothie.

I broke a banana in half and threw it in the blender, along with some berries and yogurt and other smoothie ingredients.

I made smoothies for myself when I was sick because they feel good on your throat when it's sore. Usually, I had some type of alcohol mixed into mine but I decided to hold off on the booze for hers.

I flicked a button and watched as the blender mixed the fruit together to create a light pink color. I poured it into two glasses...one for me, and one for her.

I wanted to take care of her, and this was my chance. She had taken such good care of me when I was hungover, so really I was just returning the favor.

I put a straw into her glass and head upstairs towards our room. I was expecting her to still be in the bath, but when I walked into our bedroom...she was in there untucking her wet hair from my black t-shirt that she had thrown on.

She's been wearing my clothes a lot recently. I'm not complaining, however. She looks phenomenal in them. My t-shirt fell right above her knees when she wore it.  

She looked at me as I walked in with two smoothie glasses in my hands. She weakly smiled at me through droopy eyes.

"Is that for me?" she asks. Her voice sounded like sandpaper, it was scratchy and not soft like usual.

"It is." I confirm, walking towards her with my hand outstretched.

"Thank you." she smiles, taking the glass from my hand.

"How are you feeling?" I take a sip from my own smoothie.

She shrugs her shoulders. "A little bit better. The bath definitely helped."

"Just relax for the day, Lyds. That's all you can do." I say, walking up beside her and placing my hand on the small of her back, rubbing it in circles.

She nods and I guide her to sit on the bed.

"I'm probably gonna get you sick." she frowns slightly as she takes a sip from her smoothie, pinching her eyes shut as she swallows.

"I don't care." I shake my head and stand above her, looking down at her face as she looks up.

"This is really good." she widens her eyes a bit as she points to the smoothie in her hand.

"I know." I chuckle.

Suddenly, her brows knit together and she covers her mouth with her arm. She breaks into a coughing fit and I could see the pain on her face. Between her sore throat and the coughs, I knew how much she must be hurting.

Eventually, she pulls her arm away and sucks in a deep breath, looking up at the ceiling.

"Sorry." she scratches out, rubbing her throat with her hand.