part forty

Lydia White

"Are you serious?" I ask in utter shock. I couldn't believe this was real. I couldn't believe my best friend might be pregnant.

"I just- I don't know what to do, Lyds. I'm scared." Eliza cries.

"I'm coming over." I state. "I'll be there in an hour." I tell her I love her and then hang up the phone.

I turn over to Harry, who was waiting for me to explain what the hell was going on.

"What is it? Why do you need to go over there?" he asks.

I stand up from the bed and go over to the dresser. "Could you drive me over to her place?" I ask, putting on a pair of leggings and buttoning up Harry's red flannel so that it covered my chest.

"Well, yeah of course...but why?" he questions, climbing out of bed as well.

I pause and look up at him. "You can't freak out." I say.

"Why would I freak out?" he says, coming next to me and pulling sweat pants up on his legs.

"Eliza's pregnant." I confess.

He stops and stares at me for a moment with questioning eyes.

"You can't be serious." he shakes his head.

"That's what she just told me. I need to see her." I brush my hair into a high ponytail.

"Okay. Okay. Um-" he paces around. "I'll take you, let's go." he throws on a black hoodie and grabs his keys from the nightstand.

I grab my phone and follow him downstairs.

We step into an elevator. I lean against the wall, thinking stressful thoughts. Harry stands across from me, in the same position but with his hands behind his back.

"Was it Liam?" he questions, looking at his feet.

"Who else would it be." I state rather than ask. It's not like Eliza's running around hooking up with random dudes. If she really was pregnant, then it had to be Liam's.

"I'm gonna kill him." Harry shakes his head.

"No. You can't say anything to him. Let me figure it out with her first." I point at him, and he nods in agreement.

"Okay okay. I'm just shocked." he says.

"I know, me too." I reply.

The elevator stops and the doors slide open. We walk down the hallway and into the empty lobby.

The only people around were us and two security guards who nodded at Harry as we walked.

Harry opened the entrance and we walked to his car in the parking lot.

The air was tense and crisp. I didn't know what to do...this was something I would have never pictured.

Eliza always talked about having kids one day, but I'm sure she didn't want them under these circumstances.

Harry drove up to the gates and scanned his card so that they opened up, then he drove onto the main road and sped down the highway.

"This is insane." I mumble, shaking my head. I feel Harry glance over at me.

He rests his hand on my thigh and squeezes. "It'll be okay." he tries to reassure me.

I rest my hand on top of his.

I loved Eliza, and I didn't want her to get hurt. This was definitely the worst case scenario.

We made it to Eliza's apartment in 25 minutes because Harry was speeding. He parked outside and sat back in his seat.