prologue

"SOME TWENTY YEARS AGO, Zeus decided to think with his dick instead of his head and went to fuck around with a human. That human was my mom, who foolishly fell for him and his lies and got herself killed by Hera. Somehow I managed to get on her good side, and now she's chill with me. I think. I can never tell. I also only see her like once every three years. Doesn't matter. This story isn't about her. It's about me. Who am I? My name is Robin Carter, demigod son of Zeus and Molly Carter. I was a retired hero until a week ago."

Artemis, the greek goddess of the hunt, slapped the boy upside the head. "Just explain what happened. No one cares for the cinematic. You've been spending too much time with Apollo, haven't you?" She asked, her sky-blue eyes gleaming in the light, matching her brother's.

Robin shrugged. "Maybe a little." Apollo crossed his arms from across the pair, right after dramatically flipping his golden blonde hair.

"There's nothing wrong with that. He loves me," He stated, only to receive a couple odd looks. He just sighed and signaled for his half brother to continue.

"Okay... Well, I was hanging out with some kid I went to high school with, y'know, having a good time. Then, out of nowhere, a bunch of odd creatures sprouted from the ground, and killed that kid. Not that I really care, because he only used me to pick up girls, but still. A death's a death, and when it comes to mortal deaths, people start to talk," Robin explained, the same scene replaying itself in his head as he spoke.

Hermes furrowed his eyebrows. "What kind of odd creatures? What did they look like?" He asked.

The pink haired boy shrugged. "Not like any known monster, that's for sure. They seemed to be made by a person, almost robotic, but without the metallic characteristics. Does that make any sense to you guys?" It was only the four of them there, in a small lakeside cabin in the south of Canada, namely Ontario. It was a quiet and reserved spot, so no one would look for them there. They were sort of like a secret alliance, if you will. Only three of them were gods, and one was a demigod. All with unimaginable powers though.

"Not even slightly," Apollo deadpanned, rolling his eyes. "Describe them. Colour, specific features, that kind of shit." Even if he wasn't the smartest of the group, he wasn't stupid. Not when the matter was serious enough for him to worry about, anyway. Mind you, that was very rare. Only when it came to his close family did he deem it worrisome.

Robin sighed. "Alright, alright, fine. They were... actually, they were pretty much just robots covered in grass and dirt. Almost as if the chemicals people put in the ground came to life, though I'm pretty sure that isn't possible. Not even Demeter would be able to do that," He explained softly, looking down at his shoes. He shifted in his seat, the plush from the sofa becoming uncomfortable. He was traveling into unknown territory, and he didn't know how to feel about that.

The god of travel ran a hand through his hair, brown curls tangling themselves. "You said you were at the park when this happened, correct?" Hermes inquired, receiving a nod in reply. "And that was in New York..." He phrased his words as a statement, rather than a question, calculating something unknown in his head. Artemis seemed to get it, as she snapped her fingers in realization.

"It must've been on the news!" She exclaimed, her voice wavering as different possibilities filled her brain. She shot up from her spot next to Robin. Her silver hair whipped him in the face, but he didn't seem to notice, as he didn't react. "This is bad, so very bad. If mortals see that, they'll panic," She ranted, closing and opening her fists repeatedly.

Robin nodded, understanding both Artemis and Hermes' point. "They'll be sent in a frenzy. They only have so much mental stability," He pointed out, his eyes scanning the room. Hermes turned around to face the others, spinning on the bar stool he sat on.

He pointed at the boy. "Right! So we need to erase any article about it, then the minds of everyone who has seen it." Artemis and Robin nodded in agreement.

During this conversation, Apollo sat quietly, confused. "Hold on, back up. I'm so lost right now." Like the other two gods, he was in his mortal form. He was wearing a loose hoodie, along with sweatpants and sunglasses. He was practically glowing, as he always did. He was a very flashy person, after all. His three family members exchanged a look.

Robin decided to be the one to explain. "Mortals naturally have weaker minds than gods or demigods do, and seeing any kind of monster would probably drive them insane. The creatures I saw? There's probably a news report on them already. Mortals need saving. That's up to us," He revealed, the tone of his voice sounding annoyed.

Apollo hummed, indicating that he understood. "And what will we do about these mystery monsters?" He queried, tilting his head to the side in question.

"They're dead. I'm not sure if there will be more though. I'll probably head back to New York, just to make sure," Robin started, then paused for a moment. "I was hoping you guys would come with me. Hera knows I can't afford an apartment there myself."

Hermes broke out in a large smile. "I was hoping you'd ask!" He exclaimed happily.

Artemis had a smirk on her face. "Obviously I'll come. There are so many monsters to hunt there!" She gushed before proceeding to threaten the boys about what would happen if they told anyone about that.

Apollo chuckled. "Kid, I'd be honoured." At his words, he bowed mockingly, making Robin laugh.

The latter nodded. "Alright then. We leave at dawn, because unlike you guys, I need sleep." He stood up and stretched. "Be ready by sunrise. Goodnight losers." On that happy note, he headed towards his room.

As promised, the next morning, they were off.