chapter twenty-nine

SITUATED IN THE LAB, THE Avengers tried to locate Robin. He seemed to know how to cover up his tracks, much to their annoyance. Little did they know, he was right under their noses the entire time. Or rather, over their noses. He quickly got the hang of flying planes again, having spent a whole year, plus another semester training. That is, at least, until the monsters arrived.

While Tony and Bruce scrapped every network trying to find him, Robin was at his new apartment, enjoying a cup of hot chocolate as he shamelessly binged Supernatural.

He was happy living alone, especially only having one room in the small living space. And it meant he could turn the TV as loud as he wanted without worrying about someone whacking him in the head because of the volume.

His new home had a few kinks, such as the fact that he had to go all the way to the laundry mat just to do his laundry, which didn't bother him too much unless he felt especially lazy. The bedroom door didn't close all the way. The kitchen was nice, though. The cabinets were in perfect shape, and the refrigerator worked great. There was nowhere designed to eat, so he mostly just ate on the leather couch.

He had doubt in his mind. Despite being gone a week, not hearing anything about the Avengers, he was worried they might find him. Sure, they provided free food and shelter, but he could provide that for himself. Hades, he got himself a new job. He now worked as a bartender at a local bar. Today was one of the days when he didn't have a shift. Hence why he was staying in.

Jason still hadn't contacted him. He would be concerned if he didn't know he could protect himself. Besides, the blonde had his priorities. Robin understood that he didn't have all the time in the world. Who was he, Kronos? Gods, he certainly hoped not. He did not want to encounter him again.

A ring of the doorbell interrupted his show, right at the good part. Robin frowned but paused his show and got up to answer the door. On the other side stood Nico Di Angelo, the son of Hades. To say Robin was shocked to see him was an understatement.

The boy looked exhausted. His hair was a mess, and he was beat up pretty bad. Robin quickly pulled him inside, glancing around to make sure his neighbours hadn't seen. He locked the door behind him as he led his cousin to the couch. He went to get the first aid kit, and started patching the boy up.

Once he finished, he asked the question that was on his mind. "What happened to you?"

Nico leaned back, avoiding the son of Zeus' gaze. "I was outnumbered," He said bluntly.

Robin hummed. "Been there. Hey, did whatever attacked you happen to be unfamiliar dirt monsters who carry around weapons?" He inquired.

The son of Hades snapped his head to face the other boy. "How did you know that?"

"They haven't stopped attacking me. Got shot like a month ago, in fact."

They were silent after that, opting to watch Supernatural together instead of discussing things they didn't really want to discuss. After a while, Robin started to notice his cousin get tired, and offered him his room for the night. Nico gratefully took up his offer, leaving Robin to the couch.

Meanwhile, Fury was on his way to check up on the team. It wasn't that he didn't trust them, but he didn't trust Stark. Maria Hill accompanied him, because that Robin kid was kind of entertaining. Not that she would admit it out loud.

The walked right into the compound. FRIDAY was quick to inform the Avengers of this. Tony looked at his teammates.

"Shit."

They didn't have time to so much as formulate a plan as the two SHIELD agents walked into the lab, seeing everyone but the one person they needed there. Fury put his hands on his hips.

"Would anyone like to tell me where Mr Carter is?" He asked, giving them a one-eyed glare.

Everyone avoided eye contact. How would they tell him that he managed to run away?

Steve decided to be the leader and speak up. "He ran away, sir." Maybe that was how.

"How did that happen?" Fury looked at Tony as he asked the question.

"He had help," Tony said, still trying to find the boy. A soft ding alerted him that he found a location. He looked at the screen. "Got an address."

They ended up sending Pietro there, seeing as he could get the the fastest. It was late when the boy arrived. Pinpointing which apartment was Robin's, Pietro climbed in through the window, which was left unlocked. Little did he know, Robin wasn't asleep.

Robin heard the kitchen window open, and immediately grabbed the nearest object, which happened to be a lamp he hadn't bothered to plug in. He quietly walked towards the kitchen, staying in the shadows. He knew something was going to happen. Something always did.

Pietro kept his footsteps light, but it wasn't enough to disguise his presence from the demigod. Robin had no idea who it was who had broken in, thanks to the lack of light, so he was on high alert. He spotted the silhouette of the person and swung the lamp at them. Pietro intercepted the attempt, using his speed to get out of the way. He then grabbed the light, and the two played tug-a-war for it.

The blonde Avenger grabbed hold of the cord and rapped it around the other boy's wrist, and tugged at it, hard. Robin stumbled forward. Whoever he was fighting was strong, there was no doubt about it. He didn't let go of his lamp, though. He stepped on the intruders foot, trying to distract them.

Pietro involuntarily winced. There was surprising force in the simple move. Regardless, he brought up his leg a kicked the boy back into the counter behind him. He also shoved the lamp forward for added strength in the move. Robin hit the counter, letting out a grunt as the hard surface dig into his back. He let go of the lamp, throwing it to the side, completely forgetting about the fact that it was still attached to his wrist. It came back around and hit his leg.

The figure threw a punch at his neck, but Robin managed to duck and move to the side, using the short amount of time to free his body from the cord. Unfortunately, Pietro had super speed, and knocked him to the floor in a second. He landed on his back with a loud thud.

Robin groaned and went to stand back up, only to be shoved back down. Pietro was now straddling him, a knife from his kitchen at his throat.

"Holy shit," Robin cursed, recognizing the boy. "At least take me out to dinner first, Bambi," He joked, unable to help himself.

"Shut up. We have to go," Pietro hissed. Then the light came on. A confused Nico stood by the light switch.

"Need any help there, Rob?" He asked, glaring in the blonde direction.

"That would be nice," Robin replied, using the moment Pietro turned his gaze to push him off of his body.

Before Pietro could pull a move, Robin stole the knife back, just before Nico used the discarded lamp to knock him out.

Hamilton do he hitting different when it isn't a low quality bootleg from youtube. Disney+ is amazing i swear